• Descent 298 publication date

Our June/July issue will be published on Saturday 8 June

Now with four extra pages as standard. If you want to receive it as part of your subscription, make sure you sign up or renew by Monday 27 May.

Click here for more

Ashford (Rookery) Black Marble Mine

LarryFatcat

I have a permit for this in a few weeks. Does anyone have a survey or decent description or even some sensible tips?

Jenny P

LarryFatcat said:
I have a permit for this in a few weeks. Does anyone have a survey or decent description or even some sensible tips?

There always used to be a survey sent out with the permit from DCA.  I'm assuming this hasn't happened this time?  Alternative place to check would be the DCA Cave Registry site, via www.thedca.org.uk

AR

There's a much better survey now published in Mining History Vol. 20 no. 3 (Barnatt & Worthington, need I say more?) along with a detailed description of the workings. It won't be available online for a few years yet, and I don't know whether there are still any copies left for sale at the Museum as we don't print as many spares these days. Having said that, we will consider doing limited-run reprints if there's enough demand, which we've just done with the latest edition.

All the unstable/delicate sections are taped off and where there is water, it's rarely more than ankle-deep. There are a few crawls if you feel so inclined but generally, you can just amble round the workings.

Pete K

Larry, sure I had sent you a survey in one of the emails. Must have missed it. Give me 5 mins and it'll be in your inbox.

LarryFatcat

Thanks for all the info everyone, 8 people had a great trip down Rookerey and Arrock yesterday, improved by your assistance