Rusty rivets

Joe Duxbury

A few years ago, I decided my Caving Supplies helmet dated 2000, excellent though it was, really ought to be retired. I bought an Edelrid (which is essentially the same shell) dated 2013. I am disappointed to find that the rivets on the latter, that hold the cradle to the shell, are rusting to buggery. Whereas the rivets on the CS helmet are still untarnished.
Can anyone suggest a way of stopping this rust? Completely replacing the rivets might be a step too far.

Pete K

The Edelrid Ultralight is a really common helmet to see in outdoor centre kit stores. I have seen a fair few with rusted rivets like yours.
Any one of these helmets left damp, or not somewhere that it will dry out naturally, might develop this issue. Same as leaving alloy krabs in the bottom of a damp tackle bag, they soon go white and fluffy. I'm not saying this helmet has not been stored well by yourself, but you might want to think about storage if that might be part of the problem as a way of extending the life of this and future kit.
I'm sure you can do some light scrubbing with a scourer to remove the rust. If it is surface tarnish, then you're probably fine to continue using it. If the rust, when cleaned off, leaves pits in the rivet surface, then the structure of the rivet is compromised and I'd retire the helmet. It is however your call on it's condition as you are the one with the helmet to inspect.
I suspect the CS lids were assembled with brass rivets and the Edelrid with steel (painted).
Realistically, the only way you will get a true answer about the effect of the rust on the helmet, and any action you can take to prolong its life, is by going direct to Edelrid, with photos and history of use. I suspect they will tell you to replace it.

phizz4

Edelrid's current recommendation for helmet life is 10 years from first use. I have a 2015 Edelrid helmet in white which has had light use which is surplus to requirements. If it hasn't got rust on the rivets you can have it for ?15 posted. I can't check it's state until Monday.