Article in Descent 273

It was with great glee when I finally had some post and it included the latest Descent magazine.

I find the CNCC article interesting in that is covers the history of caving access on the fells in the Yorkshire Dales.

The "take-home message" I think misses an important point thought. (or 2)

With the new booking system only allowing one party per entrance, in most cases, per day there must be a knock on effect regards conservation. 
The popular caves do not get so much traffic, the wear and tear is distributed across more caves and therefore when any one cave is not getting consistent intense use it must be better for the caves?

Point 2 is there is less likely-hood of one party de-rigging a cave and missing a second parties rigging bag leaving them stuck waiting for their call out.

https://www.wildplaces.co.uk/descent-273#/9-post_to-_choose_

Admin, if you could add the picture of the front cover here it would be nice  ;)

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Normally I pick my copy of Descent up from Inglesport (living only a mile or so away) hell knows when I will get a copy now, but looking forward to rereading Matt's article.

I believe, along with all of us at CNCC, that the new system is a win win all around, for cavers, landowners and the caves.  There is nothing like the volume of traffic down these caves that we saw in the 1980's and 90's.  But even if there was, cavers awareness and practice of conservation is vastly superior to what it was back then.  Never the less education in conservation is one thing that we can all work to improve along side promoting caving as a fascinating and fun activity.

Cheers

PS Jane will be posting a Descent is out picture shortly.

gingerlycolors

Same here. I normally get my copy from Inglesport (and occasionally from Caving Supplies or Tony Seddon's Starless River.  Hopefully Inglesport will have this April's issue in stock when they are able to reopen, by which time that should have June's issue as well.  Alternatively you can get them direct from https://www.wildplaces.co.uk/ and Chris should have plenty of back numbers on the Descent stall at Hidden Earth (which as far as I know has not been cancelled yet, although CaveFest on Mendip in August is the latest event to bite the dust this year