• Descent 298 publication date

Our June/July issue will be published on Saturday 8 June

Now with four extra pages as standard. If you want to receive it as part of your subscription, make sure you sign up or renew by Monday 27 May.

Click here for more

MCRA Logbooks and Publications website

PeteHall

11 May 2020 - After many satisfying years with BCA Web Services the website hosting is being transferred. This has caused the Logbook viewer to be temporarily off-line. It will be replaced in a few days with a new and improved version.

I wonder if it is a coincidence that a Mendip organisation is moving away from BCA hosting right now, or am I drawing unfounded conclusions?

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting.  It was a good service at one time for the BCA to offer hosting to caving clubs, groups, orgs, and Cookie did a good job with this for many years (credit where credit is due).  In recent years several people have questioned whether BCA need to continue this service as it a draw on volunteer time and the open market is full of cheap service providers.  Nearly all of these can offer as good or a better service for similar money.  This BCA service is almost certainly going to be phased out so I expect the MCRA have acted sooner rather than later.

langcliffe

aardgoose said:

Thanks for that. So the 12-year old now-abandoned phpGraphy is being replaced? I started using it for the BCRA Online Archive, but found it incredibly tedious to use. I wrote my own look-alike, together with a conversion program, which has since made life a lot easier.

One of the advantages of moving away from the BCA servers is that one is not obliged to deal with incredibly out-of-date versions of PHP.