Author Topic: The Rapture?  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Mike Hopley

• obsessive maniac
Re: The Rapture?
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2020, 11:23:14 am »
Foot hang, eh? Very nasty.

That might actually be a real thing. Some American ropewalker systems suspend the caver upside-down from their feet, if the chest-roller fails. Obviously that's due to bad practice, as they should be using a third safety jammer -- but it's something their books warn about.

Below you can see Mark about to descend Foot Hang, fighting off The Rapture with every ounce of his strength.

I can clearly see the abject terror and sense of impending doom in his eyes.

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2020, 11:57:20 am »
I think I've mentioned this elsewhere on this forum, but I can't find it, so I'll post it again:

In an old edition of American Caving Accidents there is a first-person account by a guy who had a bizarre accident when on a solo trip.
It seems that he was prusiking up a ~70-feet entrance pitch using the Texas Prusik, which is a little bit like the Frog System but which uses a jammer to a sit-harness and another to foot-loops, which is relatively short and is installed on the rope below the harness-jammer. When he was nearly at the top of the pitch:

‘My [harness] karabiner flexed and came undone; I tipped upside-down, and for a short time hung there in my foot-loops, before my feet slipped out and I fell ~65 feet to the bottom of the pitch. When I came to, I thought I’d broken my neck.’. (He hadn’t, fortunately.)
Well, there was a pile of branches and stuff at the bottom of the shaft that cushioned his fall. By the half-light filtering down the shaft (his lamp being broken) he managed to cobble together some sort of rope-climbing system and get out.
What could he deduce from this? Well, ‘My karabiner had failed on two previous occasions, (my italics) but I had a sentimental attachment to it’ (pity it wasn’t reciprocated) ‘so I guess I’d better get a new krab. Also, had I had “chicken loops” round my ankles, I’d have hung upside down until I could sort out the problem.’

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2020, 02:58:25 pm »
I'm reminded of an expression which Stuart Davey used to come out with many years ago: "Kamikaze caver".

Offline andybrooks

• player
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2020, 03:08:56 pm »
I believe that the fatality in Swildons in 1959 was caused by hypothermia, aggravated by hanging upside down on a ladder on the Forty.

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2020, 04:03:12 pm »
Yes, was much more common on ladders than SRT

Online droid

• forum hero
  • WMRG
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2020, 06:18:17 pm »
35 years ago I shared a house with an American that was on the Huatla/Nita Nanta expeditions, and of all the things he talked about (and there were many) none referenced any form of 'rapture'.
No longer 'Exceptionally antagonistic' 'Deliberately inflammatory'

Offline JasonC

• forum hero
  • KCC
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2020, 07:15:06 pm »
Coming out of Link Pot, I came close to experiencing 'The Rupture'

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal