• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Storm Franklin

pwhole

At least Long Tor Grotto should have had a rinse-out. Easily the worst entrance chamber I've ever been in, and I've been in a few stinkers. Although all the rats may have used the mine to hide in whilst it goes down  :(

Cantclimbtom

Paul Marvin said:
mikem said:
Rivers in Wales seem to be pretty high at moment

They sure are the one going up to Cwmorthin Ect was incredible , it rain all week there last week    :confused:
Oh yes there was a lot of water round there last week. There was plenty on Thursday up Conglog/Rhosydd/Croesor way but even more on Friday breakfast time coming down past the lakeside cafe

Also the wind had picked up Friday morning but the cloud was still high before lunchtime so there was visibility. I looked up at the top dam (Llyn Stwlan) and it looked like thick white smoke billowing off the lake like it was on fire or something. The wind was lifting the water off the lake, but don't worry, faster than the wind could blow away the lake, it was filling up again

After breakfast we went walking up Maenofferen to look about the big sheds, they were shuddering when the wind hit them and I was worried that where there were holes in the roof than tiles might get stripped and get thrown by wind. We had to shelter for a while in that first adit immediately behind the sheds. My son was a bit concerned and not at all a happy bunny, but I was grinning stupidly in enjoyment. I think that irritated him.

A LOT of trees came down in Gwydyr Forest over Hafna way, and driving was difficult Saturday. Some roads had trees down, some had road-closed signs but trees had been cleared. It took a few attempts and reversing to try a different routes to get about.
l37ml4r.jpg

There was definitely no water shortage, hailstone shortage or lack of breeze end last week, that's for sure. All the above was just Eunice, so Franklin hitting was probably not at a very convenient time as the last roads were still being cleared

Paul Marvin

Cantclimbtom said:
Paul Marvin said:
mikem said:
Rivers in Wales seem to be pretty high at moment

They sure are the one going up to Cwmorthin Ect was incredible , it rain all week there last week    :confused:
Oh yes there was a lot of water round there last week. There was plenty on Thursday up Conglog/Rhosydd/Croesor way but even more on Friday breakfast time coming down past the lakeside cafe

Also the wind had picked up Friday morning but the cloud was still high before lunchtime so there was visibility. I looked up at the top dam (Llyn Stwlan) and it looked like thick white smoke billowing off the lake like it was on fire or something. The wind was lifting the water off the lake, but don't worry, faster than the wind could blow away the lake, it was filling up again

After breakfast we went walking up Maenofferen to look about the big sheds, they were shuddering when the wind hit them and I was worried that where there were holes in the roof than tiles might get stripped and get thrown by wind. We had to shelter for a while in that first adit immediately behind the sheds. My son was a bit concerned and not at all a happy bunny, but I was grinning stupidly in enjoyment. I think that irritated him.

A LOT of trees came down in Gwydyr Forest over Hafna way, and driving was difficult Saturday. Some roads had trees down, some had road-closed signs but trees had been cleared. It took a few attempts and reversing to try a different routes to get about.
l37ml4r.jpg

There was definitely no water shortage, hailstone shortage or lack of breeze end last week, that's for sure. All the above was just Eunice, so Franklin hitting was probably not at a very convenient time as the last roads were still being cleared

We missed each other Tom by a day, yer Mrs let you out then  :LOL: