• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Has somone found a new system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAN

There are plenty of rumours going around about a new cave system which has been found the peak which is meant to be big. Can anybody clarify the situation as i have heard from a few independent sources?

Dan

Big Jim

I too have heard these rumours? Big as Giants apparently.  Come on, spill the beans!

I should imagine that that Lord Whatwotleigh fella moves in the right circles (or in circles at least) to know about this.

J

MarkC

Is that a new system, as in completely separate to any known caves, or has an existing cave dig gone?

AndyF

good for...somebody ......  whoever it is ....

Best they keep it quiet until they are done explorin'  ;)

Mark

Have the cave scientists been booked,
because if it is any bigger than the Water Icicle extension, they will be looking at until they die.

John B

The FINAL text of Caves of the Peak District has been submitted for publication, so someone MUST have found something. It's sods law, and it always works!

JonP

It be the Eldon who have found the new system in Derbyshire! It has all been written up and surveyed and is published in the latest Eldon PC newsletter which can be purchased at a handsome price of ?4.99. Please make cheques payable to "Jon Pemberton". Thanks. (y)

For those of us that do cave in Derbyshire, but obviously don't know the right people in the right pubs...

It would be interesting (even with the caveat that there is presently no access) to hear about a discovery of that importance...
(And please don't say it'll eventually make it into Descent)
Whereabouts is it? Stony/Castleton/elsewhere...
Is it a stream cave/pothole/mine-natural combination...
How big is it?

OR is it just  private joke that i'm too numpty to understand :)

Rhys

John B said:
The FINAL text of Caves of the Peak District has been submitted for publication...
Given the above, I suspect the rumour is just a joke/hoax/wind-up.

Rhys

Dear Sir,
Blast it all - It's that young Bobby Toogood that has been back on my land again, snooping about in the ancestoral swallets.

Him and that pall of his, Durmann I think his name is, they were always babbling on about how there was a cave system under sixty-acre plantation. Put it all down to the usual twaddle at the time, but seems the rogues were right after all.
I've had to get a couple of my best men to turf them off the property quite a few times in the last month.

My second-best stable-lad spotted them last thursday week and gave chase - Toogood bounded off across the fields, like he does, but Durmann was sitting on the fence - so the lad pulled him off.

Confiscated a bally load of gash 11mm static off them only the other week - 400 metres of the stuff. Of course, that was what gave them away in the first place - stinking of creosote; hounds will be off the fox for months now. Lady W is furious and who can blame her?

You can tell that young Toogod from me - he was a wrong-un then, and he's a wrong-un now. I've got my eye on him; and his pal Durmann - "I' did the first ascent of the Fruhstuckhorn" indeed - twaddle the lot of it
Anyway - come the weekend none of you will get back in; the gates will be back from the gold-leafers on friday and then we'll see who's laughing.

yours etc.

Whatwotleigh

clarey

Patience Dan, the intrepid explorers are probably still underground running around like loons and far too busy to keep us updated.  In the meantime, we should start a sweepstake for where it is....

Status
Not open for further replies.