New resin anchor website

Lazarus

You create an anchor, name it, promote it, be deliberately hostile towards any genuine questions, remain hostile, then change the name of said anchor. I've no doubt you'll dismiss me as an anonymous troll, I don't care, in fact I'd be glad of the badge of honour.

I know nothing about bolt installation or resins - or insert other technical stuff here - but I could quite easily ask questions, the mere fact you want to promote it via this forum and yet dismiss any questions from people you deem anon raises concern in my eyes. I've been caving for a relatively short period of time (late teens in years) and I don't know who you are, apart from someone who appeared on this forum earlier this year and started posting quite a lot, anonymity is a wonderful thing, is it not?

Antwan

Simon... Have you changed the address because some people mistook it for EPC? I thought it was the earby anchor due to earby engineering? Or is it now not that?

I was going to ask how well you reckon they would work with the glass viles of resin that come with raumer bolts and for prices but I'm really confused how this morning they were one thing and now they are something else.

Simon Wilson

The glass ampoules are not good for this type of anchor because it is difficult to adequately mix the resin. The best way to properly mix the ampoule resin is to use a special attachment to spin the anchor in the hole with a drill - not easy to do in a cave. They are often called spin-in capsules.

Raumer make a special spinning adaptor but I suspect not many people use the adaptor when fixing Raumer anchors.

http://www.raumerclimbing.com/eng/prodotti_dettaglio.asp?prod=special_device_for_raumer_resin_anchors&qi=4-12-136

I need to explain the change of name.

I am putting my neck on the line for the sake of cavers. I had the support of my caving club but they had a change of heart at the last minute and asked me to disassociate them. I am in the middle of a fast moving complex political situation. Please show some sympathy.

Madness

Hi Simon

I'm sorry if you considered my questions in the other thread as hostile. They were not intended to be.

As you don't wish to reply to anonymous posters l'll tell you that my name is Mick Langton - sometime caver with 30 years experience working in engineering.

Some of the products that my place of work produce are profiled from plate. On some of these material greain flow is critical to negate chance of failure in use.

Assuming that your anchor is profiled from stainless steel plate and then machined, how have you avoided the issue of potential shearing across the material grain.

I might add that I'm not a mechanical engineer or a metallurgist but I'm genuinely interested whether grain flow was an issue during the design of the anchor

Simon Wilson

Thank you Mick,

I welcome questions and I might not always answer them but it lets me know how to improve the information on the website.

Someone asked about grain earlier and I updated the website immediately.

It seems obvious that it would be best for the grain to run along the length. But I had to be certain so I had a batch of six cut with the grain across and I tested them in concrete. The peak loads were very close and the only difference I observed was that the ones with the grain across stretched in length slightly more. Every prototype tested is labeled and stored so I can re-examine them. All production anchors are cut with the grain running lengthwise.

I haven't had one break yet because I've calculated how small they can be at the narrow points but they are well necked. I might put some more photos up if people are interested.

Cheers.

TheBitterEnd

Would the worst case in normal use not be shear across the bolt where it meets the rock if someone took a fall on it? So if the grain runs along the bolt then this shear would be across the grain?

Simon Wilson

I really don't like anonymity.

Look at the post from Lazarus and ask yourself, would he say that if people knew who he was?

On the other hand I understand some people have good reasons for needing to remain anonymous.

You don't have to reveal yourself in public, you can do it by PM and if you do that I will acknowledge it and keep you anonymous in public.

droid

TheBitterEnd said:
Would the worst case in normal use not be shear across the bolt where it meets the rock if someone took a fall on it? So if the grain runs along the bolt then this shear would be across the grain?

I'll save TBE the bother.

Dave Drury, Tamworth Staffs.

As the question above.

Not anonymous bit I'll wager you're none the wiser as to who (or what..... :LOL:  ) I am..... ;)

TheBitterEnd

Thanks Droid. A failure to answer genuine well intentioned questions is no way to sell a new product and it leaves me wondering whether I would trust my life to an anchor designed by someone with such attitudes.

It's not anonymous, it's pseudonymous. People who know me know who I am on on this forum and for those who don't, including Simon, I could of course give a real name or a real sounding name - Janet Smith - and they would be non the wiser.

Simon Wilson

TheBitterEnd said:
Thanks Droid. A failure to answer genuine well intentioned questions is no way to sell a new product and it leaves me wondering whether I would trust my life to an anchor designed by someone with such attitudes.

It's not anonymous, it's pseudonymous. People who know me know who I am on on this forum and for those who don't, including Simon, I could of course give a real name or a real sounding name - Janet Smith - and they would be non the wiser.

I can do without personal attacks.

I am not trying to sell a product. These anchors are NOT FOR SALE and there are no plans for me to ever try to make money out of them. Caving is a hobby and I am developing the anchor for the good of caving.

I am more than happy to answer constructive questions but I have laid down a very simple and reasonable ground rule.

In a conference hall when somebody asks a question the first thing they do is introduce themselves. This is more than just a courtesy, it puts the question in context. This is often taken seriously and a questioner might be stopped and asked to identify themselves. I see this forum as a parallel situation.

If maintaining your anonymity is more important to you than getting your question answered, that's your choice.

droid

I couldn't care less about maintaining my anonymity, Simon. So wiill you please answer the question in my last post?

Mike Hopley

Simon, you must be new to the internet. Bless. :kiss2:

And my true name is Perdita Wobblechops. Please don't tell anyone; only a few know about Perdita and I'd like to keep it that way.

paul

[gmod]Let's not get into slanging matches here as well. Simon, posting using a pseudonym is acceptable in this Forum. You posted something of interest to s lot of cavers so you must accept that questions are likely.[/gmod]

bograt

paul said:
Let's not get into slanging matches here as well. Simon, posting using a pseudonym is acceptable in this Forum. You posted something of interest to s lot of cavers so you must accept that questions are likely.

(y) (y) (y) nice moderating Paul.

Simon Wilson

paul said:
Let's not get into slanging matches here as well. Simon, posting using a pseudonym is acceptable in this Forum. You posted something of interest to s lot of cavers so you must accept that questions are likely.

paul,
You seem to be misunderstanding what I am asking for. I know that posting using a pseudonym is acceptable in this forum, obviously. I don't have any objection to it in most circumstances. I do not expect anybody to reveal their name in public and that is not what I have asked for. What I have asked for is for anybody asking me a question to tell me who they are. It is just as easy to send a PM as it is to post in public - not a lot to ask. Somebody could even ask a question by PM. If they want to be totally anonymous I would not even say I have been asked a question I would just make a statement on the public forum.

I have often engaged with anonymous people on here without worrying about who they are. But I have a lot at stake in this project that most of you will have no understanding of. (not your fault, just how it is). In this case I have decided on having a simple little rule which no honest person should have any problem with.

I only started this thread to bring my website to the attention of cavers. I did not want to get the usual personal attacks that too many threads degenerate into. The website is very new and growing. I am working on a new page now which will answer a lot of questions that I was asked in another place by people who didn't keep their identity secret.

Finally, I reiterate, I welcome questions and I want the opportunity to provide answers but if you want to keep your identity a secret from me don't expect me to answer your questions in public.

paul

[gmod]Fine. You've publicised the website. Now no slanging matches from anyone and ask any questions via PM.[/gmod]