Unbearable Grylls

Pipster

It was indeed Spar Cave - it is short, but very nicely decorated and of decent proportions (for the area). It's definetly worth a visit if you happen to be visiting Skye. You can abseil in, or (as I did) scramble round at low tide (being careful not to get cut off). You could also canoe at high tide.

The editing of Spar Cave was very misleading, or clever depending how you look at it. It gave the impression that as they entered the cave, they firstly had to scramble down a steep slope, then past some gour pools, and then slept somewhere beyond that. In actual fact, the first thing you encounter is the "sleeping area", then the steep slope UPWARDS, and then the gours pools at the top of the slope (and that is pretty much then end). They filmed the way back out, and presented it as going even deeper...

rhychydwr1

Bit more info on Spar Cave from ... a book...

SPAR CAVE NGR NG 538 129 Landranger 32 Elgol, Skye
marked on Landranger map.  Also known as Sloched Altrimen (= Cave of the Nursling) and Macalister?s Cave.  A 20 feet, L 310 feet, VR 30 feet.
...mermaid?s alabaster grot
Who bathes her limbs in sunless well
Deep in Straithairds enchanted cell.
Lord of the Isles
From Elgol, take the unclassified road (tar sealed) to Glasnakille.  Park near the telephone kiosk at the `T? junction.  Take the road to the south and seek permission to visit the cave at the second cottage.  A fee of 8p per head (April 1974) is payable.  The cave is situated at the end of an impressive gorge 50-60 feet high, 20-30 feet wide and 200 feet long.  It is only accessible for about ? hour at low tide in settled weather.  Cavers wishing to view the cave for a longer period should use a 70 foot ladder from a suitable point at the head of the gorge.

The entrance is partially bricked up with a wall 6 feet high and a large gap for a doorway.  The door was blown off many years ago by a passing gun boat for target practise.  Behind the wall lies an impressive entrance chamber, with a shower of water, heavily charged with CaCo3, which is being deposited on a pile of tin cans and rubbish on the floor of the cave. 

The cave consists of two passages.  To the right, a 60 foot long passage with a muddy ends in an impenetrable crack.  To the left a 30 foot high passage leads off.  After 60 feet it turns sharply to the right and ascends 30 feet over a stalagmite flow.  At the top is a 20 foot high chamber, still well decorated, although according to Dr Johnson, it was badly vandalised soon after the discovery of the cave.  The passage descends 10 feet to a pool of water.  At the far side of the pool, the cave ends after passing though two stalagmite columns.

The cave?s alternative name is Slochd Altrimen, and is derived from a tale over a thousand years old!  The daughter of a clan chieftain had a child, out of wedlock by the son of a rival chieftain.  To avoid disgrace and certain death she hid the child in the cave until the feud was over and they were able to get married. 
Nearby are seven other caves of varying lengths, some with stalactite formations.

SPAR CAVE NGR NG 538 129 Landranger 32 Elgol, Skye
AA  160
Anderson 1863 245-247.
Anon ND [1825?] The Caves of the Earth.  192, The Religious Tract Society, London  36-38
Anon 1830  262
BC 29 9; 34 63-64
Blacks  470-471
Black?s 1873 500-501
Carron, James Dec 2007 The Mermaid?s Secret Lair.  Scottish Memories 18-19 illus. 
Cooper 131
Cooper, Derek, 1979 Road to the Isles / Travellers in the Hebrides 1770-1914  198 pp, 29 figs, 8 plates, biblio, index.  Routledge Kegan Paul, London.  67 & 84
Cooper, Derek 1979, reprinted 1990.  Road to the Isles / Travellers to the Hebrides 1770-1914.  RichardnDrew Publishing, Glasgow.  67, 84.
Cooper 1989 131-132, 184
CSS N/L 10 (4) 37-39 reprint of Lord of the Isles & notes
Daniell, W, 1820 A Voyage Round Great Britain 4 plate 133 opp 84, Longman & Co, London (Shaw 316)
Delaney  211, 213
Dempster 63-64
Fabian, Derek John 1989 The Islands of Scotland including Skye.  Scottish Mountaineering Club District Guidebook,  137, 138
Gardener plate 226
Geikie 36
Geike, Sir Archibald 1906 Scottish Reminiscences.  James Maclehose and Sons publishers to the University, Glasgow. 407
Gordon 1929 20-24
Gordon 1949 82, 94,
GSG 4 (1) 4-5
Haswell-Smith 143
Humble  61
Jones  9
Laughlan 96 could not get the key, so Sir Walter Scott climbed over the gate, 151.
Lockhart  283-284
MacCulloch, J A, 1905 The Misty Isle of Skye reprinted BC 29 9-13
MacCulloch 1927a  106-109, 309
MacLeay, K, 1811  A Description of Spar Cave, lately discovered on the Isle of Skye, with some Geological Remarks relative to that island.  To which is subjected `The Mermaid? a poem.  1811  Edinburgh
Macpherson  38
Martin 150
Muirhead  379
Muirhead 1947 379
Murray 1810  xx
Murray 1968 262
Murray, (1894) Handbook for Scotland, reprinted 1971 David & Charles, Newton Abbot. 386, 387
Oldham, Tony 2007 The Remaining Caves of Scotland.  Cardigan, published by the author.  54-55
Parker  46
RHAS 1969; RHAS 1971
Rogers 155, 159,
Scott, Sir W,  Lord of the Isles canto III from Blacks
Scott, G K, 1950 The Spar Cave.  Scots Mag 54 (3) Dec 237-240
Sillar  32, 152, 212
Simpson  78-79
Staniforth, R H A, 1969 Skye and Its Special Week.  Climber & Rambler 8 (4) April 139-140
Storer, Ralph 1989 Skye / Walking, Scambling and Exploring.  David & Charles, Newton Abbot. 125, 129-130.
Swire  229
Tindall 168
Tringham, D, [1975] Caving in Skye - Spar Cave, Elgol.  Hereford Caving Club N/L [30] 29-30

Uamhair

I'm glad it's not just me that was irritated by the editing of Spar Cave.  Just as annoying is that you don't need SRT to get into that inlet.  At low tide you can simply walk down to the bottom of it and skirt around the base of the cliff to an easy slope up to the cliff top. 

"oh, look.  There's a cave in here, I wonder what it's like?" - aye right, you came of the Black Cuillin several kms away and just happened to stumble upon that site.  Pull the other.  As a Scout leader, I shouldn't really be slagging off our Chief Scout but you can't help it sometimes sadly.  This is on top of the 'seal skin wetsuit' which he made from a dead seal up at Cape Wrath.  What they didn't show was the fruitless hunt for a seal only for the technical staff to start a nationwide hunt for a seal.  In the end it was a half rotten one found washed up in Fife which they stuck in a van and drove all the way up to Durness.

Whatever gets kids into outdoor activities though I guess.

mr conners

He is a strange man who divides strong opinions. Im going to slide onto groundhogs side of the fence on this one and declare him "Lord of cu#tshire".

bagpuss

Argh he's so annoying.. The deer antler was so obviously placed on the ridge.. and how often would you find one just in the right place for an abseil? Chucking a rock down off a ridge didn't seem like such a good example to set either. No reminders to protect the formations & to try not to grab them for balance as they did. I really dislike the way his shows are presented as reality which they really aren't. I should really stop watching his programmes as they just make me rant at the telly..

SamT

total friggin fake.. however he got to be chief scout over ray mears I'll never know.  baden powell would be spinning.

In the same way that when you read main stream journalism re caving, and have the realisation that if they can be that wrong on that topic. . then everything else they cover must be equally whack, then the same applies re gryll bore.

I remember seeing some travesty of a program where he suggested that upon reaching the terminal sump of a cave. . you should dive through it

idiot

take his climbing antics for instance

http://youtu.be/uKlYTn_m2cY

or

http://youtu.be/-Hs8_Tu4sgg

most noble cock of all cockdom

SamT

Then there was the whole bear blades debacle

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-28713420

cock

SamT

I hope he's eventually shamed from appearing on our screens for endangering people's lives with completely absurd suggestions on how to behave in the great outdoors. 

cock

I sometimes wonder if astrophysicists or quantum mechanic experts are left screaming at the telly in derision every time that cock Sir Brian Cox of cocksville waffles on about the universe and everything.

http://youtu.be/tDkVS-AN4NU

bograt

Surely if a Pr*ck like him can con his way into the popular media, someone on here has the ability to get themselves a promoter and transmit the true story?---

Maybe ; The BEAR vs. TITAN through trip to Peak - ???----- (up for it Moose?)

SamT

ps... I actually like Brian Cox.  never bother watching the telly stuff but his radio appearances are usually quite good.  mind you.  I know nowt about astrophysics, so I've nowt to get wound up about.

bograt

SamT said:
ps... I actually like Brian Cox.  never bother watching the telly stuff but his radio appearances are usually quite good.  mind you.  I know nowt about astrophysics, so I've nowt to get wound up about.

Yea, Brian has taught me a lot, Bear has not !.

mr conners

Im also a fan of Brian Cox and I know it's easy to laugh at him staring wistfully into the distance in some exotic location as he talks about aliens,  but at least his programmes have moderate educational value.  And I agree with sam t , monkey cage is brilliant on radio 4 and there are loads of old episodes on the net.

Mr Grylls however, is a bell end. Doesn't he own a  island in Wales somewhere? He should be left on it if he does.

Rhys

Bear Grylls doesn't make documentaries. They're meant to be entertainment. A bit like Top Gear, in some respects; entirely staged, but so what?

Cox really annoys me, but I don't know why. I think it's his big red lips.

crickleymal

Rhys said:
Bear Grylls doesn't make documentaries. They're meant to be entertainment. A bit like Top Gear, in some respects; entirely staged, but so what?

Cox really annoys me, but I don't know why. I think it's his big red lips.

Maybe but Grylls does say this is what you should do in a survival situation on his programs then does something so completely stupid that if you did it you'd be severely endangering yourself.