Melissa Milner

Jenny P

I was phoned this morning by one of Mel?s friends to tell me the sad news of her death, as reported in the main "Caving Chat" forum.

Mel has been part of the Derbyshire caving scene for many years and at one time was DCA Secretary for a few years, in (I think) the 1980s.  She was also the driving force behind the Darfar Potholing Club, which concentrated its efforts in the Manifold Valley, and influenced its members in taking on cave conservation work throughout that area.

Mel was fanatical about cave conservation and took over as DCA?s Conservation Officer in June 2013.  Prior to that, for many years she had been closely involved in cave conservation for DCA, assisting David Webb when he was DCA Conservation Officer, and she had set up the DCA SSSI Monitoring website for us.  Her main area of practical work was in the Manifold Valley, where she worked closely with the National Trust in making safe various digs, swallets and resurgences in or near the river bed.  Here she worked incredibly hard on installing bolted down grids to safeguard the public and ensure that the cave systems were not blocked by rubbish or rocks while still maintaining access for cavers (as always, the "Derbyshire Key" was approved the method of entry).  She also worked closely with Natural England and was convenor of DCA?s Underground Conservation Forum, pulling together cavers and various organisations with conservation interests such as the Environment Agency, National Trust, Natural England, etc.

In addition she was DCA?s Webmaster and completely revamped our website a few years ago as well as keeping it up to date with minutes, news and access information.  As many of you will know, she was also a regular correspondent on UKcaving and, through this, was well known to many cavers around the country who have a particular interest in cave conservation.

Mel will be very much missed by those who knew her and she will be a hard act to follow as DCA Conservation Officer.

Jenny Potts,
DCA Hon. Secretary

Pete K

Oh dear. What a great loss to caving and conservation. Sad to have lost her and caving, certainly in the Peak, will miss her efforts.

richardg

I knew Mel thirty years back as a very fit enthusiastic cave explorer, that dedication through cave conservation has continued...as well as the hope of someday finding a way into the Hamps river cave in Staffordshire....

Our emails had become less frequent, Though its a reminder to stay in touch, even if there seems to be little news.....

Sad news.... RIP Mel

Richard

SamT

What unexpected and sad news to arrive home too.  :(

I never really met Mel, but she was a great protagonist and has contributed huge efforts towards Derbyshire caving. Her knowledge of the Manifold and Dove catchments were immense.

thoughts and sympathies to her friends and family.

RIP Mel.

bograt

Quote from e-mail :-

"I have just found out the funeral details.

Thursday 20th August at 12.00 in the main (Canarvon) chapel. Donations in memory of Mel to the British heart foundation."

That will be Bretby Crem.

bograt

bograt said:
Quote from e-mail :-

"I have just found out the funeral details.

Thursday 20th August at 12.00 in the main (Canarvon) chapel. Donations in memory of Mel to the British heart foundation."

That will be Bretby Crem.

Anyone from the High Peak thinking of going down to this? maybe I could cadge a lift?

bograt

Saw the lass off, realised on the drive back home, that it was a new crem that I'd said goodbye to one of my speliomates in, that comes to 7 crematoriums :eek:

(Not to think about all the churches/chapels--am I living on borrowed time?)

Rob

I'm trying to source a photo of Mel, to be used in association with an obituary ran in Descent.

If anyone has a nice photo of her please can they send it over to me (PM for email). Thanks...

Rob

bograt said:
You might find something on the Darfar web site;
Yes, there are a few quite good ones on there. However most are quite old and unfortunately none have photo credits, which we would need to publish.

I'd be grateful if anyone could send me contact details of some of the main players in the club (which i believe is now ceased?). 

Speleokitty1

Hi Rob

I have passed on your contact details to the remaining members of Darfar. They continue to work on projects in the Manifold and Hamps Valleys.

Rob

Hi SpeleoKitty. Yes, Karen has been in touch, thanks very much..... Good to hear work continues within the club. (y)