Otter Hole Trip

W

wallop

Has there been a date fixed for the Otter Hole trip yet as i would need
to know so i can arrange things around the trip! Has there been much interest??

W

wallop

Will there still be a Otter Hole trip going on soon.
How many club members are interested in doing a trip there!!  (y)

A

andymorgan

I would be interested if given enough notice. It is probably a tad late in the year now with tides isn't it :-\

Hughie

andymorgan said:
I would be interested if given enough notice. It is probably a tad late in the year now with tides isn't it :-\

I may be wrong but I was always under the impression that tides were twice daily events rather than seasonal.  :-\

whitelackington

:blink:
Bracknell had an Otter Hole trip booked for last saturday
but the Otter leader cancelled as entrance flooded.
So they did longwood instead,
that was not flooded.

paul

whitelackington said:
:blink:
Bracknell had an Otter Hole trip booked for last saturday
but the Otter leader cancelled as entrance flooded.
So they did longwood instead,
that was not flooded.

A group from Orpheus CC got as far as the sump on June 10th - unfortunately it never dropped far enough to continue any further.  :(

A

andymorgan

Hughie said:
andymorgan said:

I may be wrong but I was always under the impression that tides were twice daily events rather than seasonal.  :-\

Apart from Spring and neap tides....

paul

whitelackington said:
If it is flooded by tides, doesn't that make, at least the entrance a SEA CAVE! :confused:

For the last time - the river Wye rises due to the tide changes which blocks Otter Hole's resurgence which causes the water flowing through the cave to back up and the sump to close. It is flooded by water which is sinking into the cave whose outflow is restricted by rise in the river level NOT BY THE SEA.

Sea caves are formed in any type of rock due to the action of the sea. What we know as caves are formed in limestone due to the action of carbonic acid (or also sulphuric acid in some places in the world) and also the erosion effect of water flow.

Otter Hole was not formed by the sea and is not near the sea (unless you count the fact that the limestone once was sea bed!). The same thing would happen if you were to build a damn or weir downstream of the resurgence in the River wye - or would you then be asking if it was a Weir Cave or a Dam Cave ???