Have the number of club members gone down during in 2020??

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Hi All,

Just wondering whether club numbers have altered at all this year?

I doubt numbers would have gone up and hope student clubs have managed to recruit despite blummin covid, however any clubs seen numbers decline significantly or have most stayed steady, which I'm presuming they have :)

Cheers, Pegasus

thehungrytroglobite

Unfortunately, numbers in UNCC (University of Newcastle Caving Club) are much much lower this year than previous years - we only have 13 members, and only 3 of those have actually been underground before! We'll have a lot of rapid + intensive work to do post-lockdown to try and keep the club afloat!

Alex

In the BRCC our trip count has gone down quite a bit, we normally have a trip each weekend. However, members wise I think we have 1 more member overall, I would have to check.

pwhole

Since lockdown in March, the TSG has more membership enquiries per month than at any time in the last ten years, despite us running very few club-organised trips since. To be honest, whilst not trying to put them off exactly, it was quite difficult to recruit new members and take money off them with precisely nothing to offer other than internet-based activities, and several did agree to defer until more concrete news was forthcoming. However, two joined as full members last month anyway.

So we've seen a definite uptick in interest as a result of (or despite) coronavirus. We're collecting renewals now, so we shall see how many existing members decide to stick it out, but it's looking good so far.

Cavematt

I guess as Covid hit in March, members for the year were mostly signed up in most clubs before that, so we'll find out by the end of January how many have decided not to renew due to the Covid situation.

Like most clubs, York have tried to maintain enthusiasm by online pub meets, and running trips when we can albeit it less formally organised than usual. Unfortunately, lots of our members have not been involved in these so I would be surprised if we don't lose a handful of members next year. I certainly haven't seen any new enquiries this year, so quite the opposite experience to TSG mentioned above.

Nonetheless, I am fairly hopeful that member numbers will remain strong  ;)

Lots of clubs are considering offering free membership renewal for 2021 (i.e. no club fees, just BCA fees). I know that we are going to discuss this, and I have heard of at least one large Dales-based club that is doing this. This is partly to tempt people to rejoin and not drift away, but also partial compensation for the fact that not a lot has happened in 2020 for many clubs (plus less wear and tear on tackle). Seems sensible and a nice gesture if club funds allow.

It's the student clubs I feel sorry for; I know that York Uni have needed to be rather innovative and have adapted as best as possible, but as well as government regulations, they will have had to deal with university regulations too which will be a million times more complicated. I'd love to hear from more student clubs on here how they have got on. Sorry to hear UNCC are struggling a little; I met some of you at the NPC hut a few years ago and what you lacked in numbers you made up for with enthusiasm; I hope that will keep things going into next year when things pick back up, and that the BCA Y&D group will be able to offer support too.

adep

Of the two clubs i am a member MCC and CCPc,Masson have increased and i think Crewe have stayed about the same

Ian Adams

UCET has increased ....

This is because (pretty sure this is the reason) we waived the membership fee and invited ex-members back. Also, new or returning members who have insurance elsewhere paid us nothing at all.

:)

Ian

PeteHall

I am aware of a small number of Wessex members lapsing their membership on the basis that the facilities have been closed, so there is little benefit to those individuals of continuing their membership. The (latest?) Wessex journal on my desk shows 10 new members that month, so anecdotally, this would suggest an increase in membership, though I have no idea how many may have silently neglected to renew.

I think the last time I went to the SWCC was 31st December 2019, but the thought never crossed my mind to lapse membership...

Blueberry

I have just joined TSG and bought my first set of SRT kit. Getting prepped for the end of what ever we are all waiting for. 😁

cavemanmike

I hope most members would rejoin there local club's , it's not what you get from a club it's what you can give if you ask me

Maddoghouse

CHECC Perspective and mini update...

For obvious reasons, a lot of the university clubs have struggled since the pandemic started and has obviously effected numbers. As will become clear, CHECC is optimistic! We've been in regular contact with clubs and the BCA over the months and will continue to support and share innovative ideas to get student cavers back underground and on trips when it is safe to do so.

With the first lockdown conveniently starting a week before what was due to be Southern CHECC 2020, we haven't been in position to run more than one in person events.The one we did was  a popular and very well attended training event in Sheffield and are working on similar events in the south of the country!

Virtually, we have held numerous delegates meetings with member clubs where we have collectively discussed their concerns and the best approaches to solving them. The CHECC committee keeps in regular contact with the BCA and updates them with summaries of these meetings. With the help of the CNCC, a document was put together to help student clubs plan caving trips in the Dales!

The legendary annual Forum was due to take place back in November in the Dales. Like everything this year, rather than canceling all together, we instead did the AGM part of the Forum through Zoom (Once again, thanks BCA;)). Amazingly, this was a very successful Tuesday even where amazingly we had a record of 22 clubs attending!

As for when university caving clubs will be back in a cave near you, who knows but for sure we will be back! In the coming weeks we have a new logo to look forward to (Competition is still open https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=27172.0) and a call for newsletter submission while next year we'll hopefully have a COVID inspired CHECC t shirt, take full advantage of the UNESCO year of Caves and Karst and the continued increase in numbers of student caving!

Once again, uni clubs who need help, CHECC are here to provide you guys aide! Be that through BCA grants, leaders for trips, minibus drivers etc etc!

All the best,
Jacob
CHECCretary

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm, well one of my New Year resolutions is going to be to see what UKC can do to support CHECC & student caving in 2021 - need a 'determined' emoji  :)

badger

WSCC decided free membership to all existing members, only BCA fees to pay, any new members will have to pay, not that we re expecting any at the moment.

andrewmcleod

I am a member of four caving clubs and one mountaineering club, and have maintained my membership of all of them despite not being able to make use of pretty much any of them.

Sad if people see their clubs just as a source of benefit to themselves, rather than shared endeavours...

Bob Mehew

andrewmc said:
Sad if people see their clubs just as a source of benefit to themselves, rather than shared endeavours...
Remember redundancies were at a record level in Quarter 3 unemployment at 4.9% and predicted to grow to 7.5% by next Summer.  If you have lost your job and are now dependent upon the dole, how do your priorities now line up?  I can well understand why a moderate number of cavers are regrettably letting their club membership lapse.