cave rescue

Fulk

I've just come across this somewhat enigmatic article in our local paper ? doess anyone know any details?

Attachments

• cave rescue.jpg
    cave rescue.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 1,340

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
I heard about this from the CRO grapevine but no more details were forthcoming.

AR

Given it's involved both Swaledale and Teesdale MR teams, I'm guessing one of the mine levels in Arkengarthdale?

mikem

It's pretty much verbatim from (but there is a picture of a passage): https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4676938132368424&id=200769689985313

COMRU FB page says more details to follow

mikem

Also: https://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/19597117.cumbria-ore-mines-rescue-unit-rescue-missing-cavers-two-inches-air-space/

There doesn't seem to have been any significant rain in the last 3 days, so did they collapse their original route in & have to be rescued another way?

paul

From Swaledale MRT's website www.swaledalemrt.org.uk

Our Underground Rescue Leader was contacted by Teesdale and Weardale Mountain Rescue Team and asked to assist with the search for 3 overdue cavers.  They had entered an Old mine system in Teesdale intending to travel through the system.  However, a friend reported them overdue and a search and rescue response was activated by Teesdale, with support from Cumbria Ore Mines Rescue Unit and ourselves.  It would appear that the exit sum had become submerged and the ropes used to enter the mine via some deep shafts removed.  A small team were able to reduce the water level on the exit and enter the cave, where they then located the party and brought them out safely.

Alex

Ahh make sense, pulled through but the exit had sumped, I presume due to a collapse blocking the water.

Fulk

the ropes used to enter the mine via some deep shafts removed

So the ropes weren't 'removed' by some sort of external agency, but they were doing a pull-through trip. Makes sense . . . glad they got out safely.