• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Cleopatra's tomb

Joe Duxbury

Here's another underground offering that was on the box: 'Secrets of Egypt's Valley of the Kings', Channel 4, 8 pm Sunday 5th April.
'a lawyer-turned-archaeologist discovers a secret tunnel network at a forgotten temple that could lead her to the tomb of the last pharaoh of Egypt.'
Having dug a shaft to expose a tunnel (hardly a 'network' - it ran left and right from the base of the shaft), and despite it being the last day of the dig, and despite putting on a pair of waders because the tunnel had wading-depth water in it, she wimped out of going along the tunnel to inspect the end. There we are, it could be Cleopatra's tomb, a momentous discovery, which she's been searching for for years, and she whines about getting wet. "But you've got waders on!" I shout at the telly.
Maybe the TV company's insurance wouldn't allow her to, but she could have done it off-camera.

Brains

I saw that and was shouting at the telly as well! Must have had 4' of air space in solid rock - bigger than a coffin level, and she backed off!
One of the Time Team would have been down there in no time, never mind a "proper" cave / mine explorer!