Mess in Bagshawe

Pete K

Sometime after 8.30pm on Saturday night (13th) a group entered Bagshawe Cavern and had what appears to be a party near the pool with the conservation tape after the Dungeon. This group left party popper debris, glow sticks, cans and worst of all, a discharged firework. They appear to have had the code to access the Coe and even appear to have made a note in the logbook. Although obviously not likely to be a real name, we'd like to hear from 'Miles', even if just to eliminate him.
If anyone has any information on who might have done this please contact Amanda Revel or myself via the email link in my profile.

On a more positive note, I intend to go down and clear up the mess on Tuesday. If anyone would like to accompany me with a bin bag we can have a good clean up. If you are in there at all and can fill some pockets with rubbish then please do.

This information comes from Iain Rennie at GoCave.com who visited this morning. Thanks to him for contacting the DCA and Amanda.

Pete Knight
DCA Projects Officer

SamT

I was shocked to hear about this.  :mad:

I'm currently stricken with 'man' flu, otherwise, I would have gone in there myself this evening.  Sorry I cant be around the rest of this week to lend a hand.

Props to Pete for offering to go in there and clear up.

I find this worrying. The code on the door was last changed on the 28th September.  I cant imagine that the many instructors that use the cave would have given the code out to their clients.  So somehow, through mates of mates, the code has gotten to these arseholes.

I'm sure amanda will have changed the code by now.

Pete K

Will have a team down there Tuesday afternoon. I don't know the extent of the mess yet, I'm waiting on photos but I doubt we'll have too many people. If it is not as bad as I thought then at least we'll all be done in 30 mins!

pwhole

Good grief - that's insane. Well, I hope you can manage to scrape that lot off - and hopefully whoever did this will find themselves being scraped off a few rocks soon...

Pete K

Thanks to all who offered and to those who attended today's clean up at Bagshawe. We managed to remove 99% of the glitter, silly string and about a bucket's worth of other assorted litter from the party spot and the rest of the cave.
If you know who this was please let the DCA know and have a strong word with them.
Cheers to Alan B, Duncan S, Andy M & Phil P.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/peakinstruction/sets/72157649375110997/

Jenny P

Many thanks to Pete and Co. for their fast clear-up of a horrendous mess.  How great to see these guys get stuck in to clean up without any fuss when the mess wasn't even of their making, just perpetrated by a bunch of losers.

It isn't the first time DCA members and Derbyshire cavers have had to clear up like this after idiot "parties" - last one was in Devonshire: painted arrows on the walls, beer cans, etc.

It would be good to find out what pea-brained idiots were responsible for this and maybe they could be shown the error of their ways.

Thanks again to Pete, to his friends who helped and also to those who were so prompt in reporting the problem.

Jenny Potts,
DCA Hon. Sec.

bograt

Agree with Jenny, great deal of thanks to Pete K & all others involved in the clean up, would be good if we could work out a way of cornering the perpetrators of vandalism on a SSSI?

pwhole

Why do we need to press a button to say we 'like' something? Can't folks write? There's plenty of emoticons available to 'visually express your preferences'. Please leave Facebook at the doormat when you come in here - it's UK Caving.com, not Facebook. They don't have an automatic right to modify everyone else's behaviours too.

Anyway, back on topic - thanks to the clean-up team for the efforts here. Hopefully if not caught, the perps will at least get a very loud and clear message.

owd git

pwhole said:
Why do we need to press a button to say we 'like' something? Can't folks write? There's plenty of emoticons available to 'visually express your preferences'. Please leave Facebook at the doormat when you come in here - it's UK Caving.com, not Facebook. They don't have an automatic right to modify everyone else's behaviours too.
  (y) (y)

you could always draw one on the screen in crayon and have the same warm feeling of conecting with a real person each time you press it , surly. :spank:

Good job Pete.

kay

(y)
pwhole said:
Why do we need to press a button to say we 'like' something? Can't folks write? There's plenty of emoticons available to 'visually express your preferences'.

It's a bit irritating to click on a topic which apparently has a new post, only to find the post consists merely of a  (y) and not the well-argued contribution you were looking forward to reading.

AR

I'm in the grumpy old git camp and would prefer not to have like/dislike/share/translate into Latin buttons on the forums, I don't see the point - it brings back bad memories of the "me too" posts that used to clutter up some usenet forums  back in the dim and distant past.

Going back to the original topic, I would suggest that if we do find out who was responsible then we should do muckiest caves and/or mines we can think of, then go for a crawl around their houses. I can straightaway think of one mine featuring a fine decomposed tuff with added iron oxide for extra colour.....

AR

owd git said:
Try  Brimstone dyke Adam. the filthy forsaken pit of mire at overton.  (y) Ric'.

My personal favourite would be Side Mine at Matlock Bath, the ochre in there stains everything it touches, it even managed to discolour my old Meander oversuit! Unfortunately, it's been inaccessible since the closure of the colour works.