Scariest Pitch Head in the UK?

D

darkplaces

For one guy at the bottom of a 328ft shaft it was a scary moment as he found himself suddenly heading upwards suspended by the phone wire around his ankle. Only made it up about 12-15ft apparently before one of our guys managed to shout STOP though the luckily still working phone.

For us on the bosons chair, it wasn't a scary pitch, it was a damm dizzy one as the chair spun round faster and faster.
(We had cows tails attached to the loop.)

SeeJay

LarryFatcat said:
After yesterday's trip down a certain magnificent Derbyshire pitch, I have my candidate.  What's yours?

I think I have the same candidate Larry, though it was on the way up for me, rather than down...  Even more scary for Pipster as he "volunteered" to derig it!  :eek:

LarryFatcat

c**tplaces said:
For one guy at the bottom of a 328ft shaft it was a scary moment as he found himself suddenly heading upwards suspended by the phone wire around his ankle.
BT are such ............

Pete K

1st Pitch, Jingling Pot - off the trees on 9 mil that looks more like 6. Feels like a long way down when the trees bounce up and down.

or

Waterfall Pitch, Knotlow - I'm too short to bridge so I need to do some serious acrobatics.

Gaping Ghyll Main Shaft... rather a long way down.  It is scary because you are on the moor when you set off.  There's normally an audience to watch you (hoping that something will fail) in a "rubber-necky" sort of way : ).  I think some re-belays are way worse than true pitch heads.

:cry:

CN.

Pipster

SeeJay said:
LarryFatcat said:
After yesterday's trip down a certain magnificent Derbyshire pitch, I have my candidate.  What's yours?
I think I have the same candidate Larry, though it was on the way up for me, rather than down...  Even more scary for Pipster as he "volunteered" to derig it!  :eek:

Yup, think I'd have to agree.... and derigging the pitch head certainly had a great sense of exposure. ;)

Slightly off-topic: The scary bit for me was when I was just about to attach my hand jammer to the bottom rope, hearing a boom on the Event Horizon, making a dash for cover, and a bl**dy gret rock landed about 1/2m away which exploded and sprayed me in shards.  :eek:

LarryFatcat

Pipster said:
SeeJay said:
LarryFatcat said:

Yup, think I'd have to agree.... and derigging the pitch head certainly had a great sense of exposure. ;)

Slightly off-topic: The scary bit for me was when I was just about to attach my hand jammer to the bottom rope, hearing a boom on the Event Horizon, making a dash for cover, and a bl**dy gret rock landed about 1/2m away which exploded and sprayed me in shards.  :eek:

Jammy sod!  I missed some of the fun then?

gus horsley

My nomination is Nick Pot big pitch which I did on ladders.  Looking down, seeing all the spray and not seeing the bottom had me really clenched, so much so that I threw up at the prospect.  And there's bugger all at the bottom except a sump.  One of those moments when I asked myself why I was doing this caving lark at all.

Speleodroid

The alternative final pitch in Trapdoor, "They Think Its All Over." Probably would be if that slurry slope of mud and rocks got going while you were below it. One of the very few places I've been where each member of the group needed to rig and de-rig the pitch one at a time to avoid trashing the rope. Craftsmans has a nice loose pitch head as well (Dickory), but didn't think it was too bad compared to the above.....still needs plenty of care though!!

seddon

Hope pitch, Strans Gill. Completely different reason to be intimidated.

It's the way your ribs creak as you head down it...

Deek

I'd put Big Meanie up there. As you look down, confident that gravity will help you through the narrows, you think, 'Will I get out'. Certainly wouldn't want to follow a biggie up it.

Mark

2nd pitch in the deep shaft entrance to Carlswark (comes out in big dig) you had to be there to understand

Pitlamp

Top of Gaping Gill's Lateral Shaft (one way down which is known by some latter day cavers as "Dihedral Route"). It's unusual to start in darkness but have gloomy daylight somewhere in the depths.

spikey

Was never too keen on the single spit rebelay which used to exist just over the lip of the (eyehole) entrance to Rowten.

GemmaJones

Titan - it's just such a long way and the hanging re-belay is really scary, especially when you are shaking like a leaf. (Yes I am a wuss.) It shouldn't be scary as you can't see the bottom on a 20m pitch either, but it's the thought of 140 metres that's scary!

footleg

Malham Cove. (No-one said it had to be underground!)

I've seen more hardened cavers quiver at the lip and resort to sliding over the edge on their belly scrabbling at the rock refusing to look down than anywhere else. Similarly with tower block charity abseils. The darkness in the caves really is our friend when it comes to exposed situations.