The most evil underground place in the world

Cave_Troll

[align=center] :evil: [/align]
OK so where is the most goddam awful part of a cave going.

The bottom of Odin Mine - Derbyshire
Its cold, wet, haunted and muddy. Oh and there's 40m of stacked deads above you held up by rotten wood.

SUSS dig - Robins Shaft Mine - Staffs
Constricted, sticks you to the floor with mud, there's 100m of rope to get out after a 5 hour digging trip, if you're unlucky there's a foot of very cold water at the bottom. Oh and the air's running out.

the bit of Peak Caver i was in today
I'll leave this to the poor people i convinced to go there with me :?
I will be going back

the problem with this as a contest is that someone needs to compare them all for unplesantness to find winner

A

Ann

the bit of Peak Caver i was in today
I'll leave this to the poor people i convinced to go there with me :?
I will be going back

:wink: Okay give us a clue which bit was it :!:

SamT

has to be fairholme passage and namraed sump in bagshawe for me.

fine on the way in. nice scree slope to whizz down on your belly followed by a slimey muddy crawl.
On the way out - having just done a slimy muddy crawl you have flat out scree slope inclined by about 30 degrees to try and haul you and your sorry ass tackle bags back up. its grim. (but hey - I love it really :twisted: ).

Brendan

Well Cave_Troll, would that be the dig above the sump at the end of Cohesion crawl. walk through/around the sump pool, to get into an effectively flatout crawl leading off. Crawl along with the bucket, and get to the end, where there is no room for you and the bucket. Therefore, you lie in water, digging at full stretch, putting spoil into the bucket behind you - at full stretch, while being unable to turn your head at all. Then reversing back down the flat out crawl, with the bucket being pulled repeatedly into your head by the other diggers.

At least none of us managed to fall into the sump pool.

Personally, I feel it lacks the 100m of rope done with hands so cold you are unable to feel them, or undo anything without a spanner, before changing in snow and sleet at the windiest farm in the world.

D

Dave H

Getting changed for Ireby Fell, or Marble Steps is always pleasant for changing as well. :p
Underground ;- well I hate my ropes getting dirty in Maskhill :( and any pitch that already has too much spaghetti on it :evil: I also don't go a whole heap for aqueous digs or corners too tight for my long thighs!

Brendan

SamT said:
Brendan said:
before changing in snow and sleet at the windiest farm in the world.

That has to be Rowter Farm then :)

No, that will be Hilltop Farm, the one next to Robin's shaft mine. Truly unpleasant.
They do do free-range eggs however, and have a 3 legged dog which is pertified of us. :D

T

tubby two

Has nobody mentioned the most accessible worst part of the underground world yet- the entrance to Fatigue Pot off Combes Dale? It even taunts you with still being able to see daylight...

tt.

I agree with all those locations.
Odin Mine - yes can be scary!
Getting changed at Rowter is a bit grim but on the road nearby for Oxlow is worse. Leck Fell definitely beats those two but these aren't underground locations.
Having dug beyond Cohesion I can say for definite that it is grim especially when a certain N.Flux carries out his own sulphurous brand of draught testing :fart:
Namraed sump into the Holly Bowl Series is pretty desperate. I remember going through with Ben Bentham when it was a duck with only a couple of inches of airspace. We had to knock flakes off the roof to make it passable.
The most evil place I have ever been underground is Wet Ears Squeeze in Swildons 2. A flat out duck through Cowsh which has lots of wiggly worms in it and bubbles when you break the crust. Has a slight greenish tinge to it as well.....

paul

danthecavingman said:
Getting changed at Rowter is a bit grim but on the road nearby for Oxlow is worse.

The farmer at Oxlow Farm allows you to park 2 or 3 vehicles in the small yard next to the road in the farm entrance for £1 a vehicle and there's a barn to get changed in. Must be getting soft! :roll:

A

Andy Kay

Amazed that this topic has missed the obvious: the most evil and frightening cave passage in the world has to be the final chamber in Cox's Cave, Cheddar. There's a terrifying fire-spitting monster that lives in there. How the place remains open to the general public beats me.... Eek ! :)

graham

Andy Kay said:
Amazed that this topic has missed the obvious: the most evil and frightening cave passage in the world has to be the final chamber in Cox's Cave, Cheddar. There's a terrifying fire-spitting monster that lives in there. How the place remains open to the general public beats me.... Eek ! :)

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Nice one Andy.

bubba

Administrator
seamoose said:
I think I tend to agree with Fairholme / Namraed as mentioned by a couple of others...

I thought I sniffed bullshit when all you lot were trying to get me down there...."no, it's fine, just a bit thrutchy....." - you buggers :LOL:

B

BCMCXIV

Anywhere that is full of slurry, like the bottom of Low Eglin's Hole for instance. Virtually any part of Crescent Pot (esp. the climb down the rotting timbers that are holding up a million tonnes of rock; and the flat crawl below it {cos it reminds you of how shit the rest of the cave is going to be}).

However, the true prize for the most miserable/evil cave in existence can only possibly be awarded to one candidate:

"The Grind" in Easegill: shit; pointless; long; and very, very muddy. And it ends in a miserable sump signifying that you have to turn round and do the whole damn thing again in reverse. Wins this contest handsdown on every criteria I think. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Some of the inlets might be worth a dig though, and it needs surveying.

A

Anna

"The Grind" in Easegill: shit; pointless; long; and very, very muddy.

Totally agree. I did it once and still don't know why. Just because it was there I suppose. I prefer horizontal caving and can't resist any muddy tube. But Grind really was squalid.
Another contender is Gods Bridge River Cave. Did that recently and whilst we knew what to expect (NC says drop into liquid mud) it is an amazingly filthy trip. Unlike The Grind though it is not pointless. Sludgy, muddy, shitty but somehow ok.

G

George North

Wow! Somebody else that's been down the grind - The name really does say it all, and tbh is the only real reason we went there :D

God's bridge sounds ace, and has just been added to the list of novice trips for next year :twisted:

A

Anna

God's bridge sounds ace, and has just been added to the list of novice trips for next year

Oh dear! Still it will certainly sort out the keen ones from the not so keen. A novices reaction to mud says a lot about them and the ones who are happy to squirm their way through Gods bridge's mud, emerge coated from head to foot in it and can't wait for the next trip are tomorrow's real cavers. But at least warn them first what a shithole they are going into!

C

cucc Paul

If you think swildons two is bad how about priddy green sink, mainly the bits with standing water, the first 30-40m and the top of the first pitch... cow poop every where and you stink when you get out...