Dye Testing, Brants Gill Head catchment

nobrotson

Can anyone provide me with some references for the scientific evidence of water from Gingling Hole, Penyghent Pot, Dale Head Pot and Magnetometer Pot resurging at Brants Gill Head? I assume that some tests must have been conducted but cant find any reference to them in either the most recent Northern Sump Index or the (previously) online chapter on the area from Caves and Karst of the Yorkshire Dales.

Beardy

Penyghent Pot
CRG Newsletter 49 NPC Riley, M.C. Water Testing - Penyghent Pot pages 5-6 July/Oct 1954 Dye test
CRG Newsletter 49 CRG Gemmell, A. Water Testing - Penyghent Pot pages 6-7 July/Oct 1954 Dye test

not sure about the others - for now
B

nobrotson

Was the positive dye test from Hull Pot also reported in those articles? And has there ever been a positive test from Little Hull Pot and Hunt pot?

Pitlamp

Page 21 in the original Underground Adventure book (Gemmell & Myers) gives a useful insight into what wasn't known for certain by the late 1940s, when Dalesman accepted the text. (Note that the book wasn't published until four years later.) Both Arthur Gemmell and Jack Myers were switched on professionals (architect & geophysicist respectively) and, if they'd have been aware of reliable dye tests by that stage, they'd no doubt have stated details. (This may help narrow down your literature search?) The information given in G & M mentions that their six inch Ordnance Survey map stated: "Issues at Douk Gill Plantation". Where the O.S. got that information from isn't known.

Beardy's post above gives a useful insight into the immense value of Cave Research Group publications. Very few present day cavers seem to be aware of just how good these are; they contain a vast amount of speleological knowledge and I'd recommend consulting them whenever a query such as the above is raised.

Pitlamp

Along similar lines, the British Speleological Association publications are an excellent information source as well.