• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Aditnow Mining Talk

Monty_Stubble

Next Aditnow Mining Talk is the 6th May (tomorrow) at 8.30 on the Zoom Platform.

Rob Vernon will be presenting on the Hathorn Davey Company of Leeds, manufacturers of steam pumping machinery, 1872-2016.

Hathorn Davey were deeply involved with Cumbrian mining and their engines crop up all over the region. The iron mines of Furness had many examples. There's hardly a county in Britain that didn't have a HD engine somewhere. They were also used all over the world from Australia to Turkey and from India to Uruguay

Rob has made a study of these and in the course of his research has tracked down many of them., even visiting a pumping station in Japan.

Rob has had an interest in Mining History from an early age and has also made his career in Mining Geology and later Archaelogical Geophysics. He has published many books and papers on mining history including 2 books on Spanish Mining, co-authoring a 7 book series on Mines of the Gwydyr Forest and his latest book on Hathorn Davey.

The Zoom Login in 840 6890 9676
Passcode is 546112

tomferry

Hello everyone .

Was just wondering if anyone has heard anything at all about when we can log back into aditnow to view the photo albums ?

Cheers Tom

tomferry

Hello Mike since the ?shut down/ update? I have not been able to log in to view any photos at all ? Any idea who I should speak to / ask .

Tom

royfellows

Down and beyond said:
Hello Mike since the ?shut down/ update? I have not been able to log in to view any photos at all ? Any idea who I should speak to / ask .

Tom

I think that this is due to the site now being "Read Only" and at the time it was 'frozen' your password was not set to a 'keep me logged in', so now the site is unable to accept your password. I don't think that there is anything that can be done, but if you want any photos off there it can be done through me or any other user who was kept logged in.

Cantclimbtom

I think it was entirely down for a bit (I wanted to check some pics yesterday). But just *now* I am able to see them
Try again. Good luck

sinker

Down and beyond said:
Any idea who I should speak to / ask .

It will be months at least Tom. No one to speak to/ask sorry.
I can get you photos if required, as per Roy's offer  (y)

tomferry

Thanks people ! It was only because I had the sign in option now when I click the link it says page not found .

Is it still possible to do the mine search within a certain distance of a mine or do you have to be signed in for this ?  I ent sure if I have forgot how to do it or if it?s no longer available.

Thanks again !

pwhole

That locale search still works for me, but I was permanently logged in, so dunno if it'll work for others. But, as Roy suggested, I can always help grabbing stuff if there's anything specific you want :)

Monty_Stubble

Next Month's Talk will be on the Jet Mines of North Yorkshire. This is a fascinating tale of Craftsmanship, Fashion and sometimes Fakes and Forgeries. Not everything they tell you in the Jet shops of Whitby is true. Chris Twigg has visited most of the sites and will dispel a lot of commonly held myths on Jet.

Monty_Stubble

Last night someone called Ian asked Rob a question - he has an answer. Sadly as I don't record the talks, I don't know who Ian is. If you can contact me I can put you in touch with Rob who has all the info.

AR

That's Ian Castledine, aka ICLOK - think I've got his email somewhere, I'll find it and PM you.

tomferry

That?s his name it was on the end of my tongue new I had spoke to a Ian on aditnow  if it?s the same one is involved with a mine exploring group in wales ?  :-\

moorebooks

Monty_Stubble said:
Last night someone called Ian asked Rob a question - he has an answer. Sadly as I don't record the talks, I don't know who Ian is. If you can contact me I can put you in touch with Rob who has all the info.

Ian ordered the Hathorn Davey book off me I will put Ian in direct touch as data protection I not allowed to send you his contact details

Mike