Big 3 UK chambers

mikem

A friend of mine has been in Calder's Geo, Gaping Gill & The Frozen Deep, has anyone else?

Mike

andys

Is it time for the debate then as to how, exactly, you define a chamber and then get a handle on its size? I'm going to kick it off with a simple suggestion - and then wait to get shot down!

The size of a chamber is determined by the volume of the largest sphere that would fit inside it - and its a "chamber" (as distinct from a bedding, rift or tunnel) if the largest spheres in passages to either side (and/or above or below) are at least 50% smaller.  :sneaky:

Rob

Andys, based on what most cave chambers are like, I reckon a hemisphere is probably a better simple shape to use. However the definition will need further work, as lots of chambers will have stal piercing into your shape, thereby dramatically reducing their ranking. Unless you don't include stal, which will need lots of clear definition also!

I know the large chamber 3D scanning team have been looking for ways of simply ranking them and finding it difficult to be fully objective.

dmcfarlane

See "Deterministically Defining Chambers in 3D-Scans of Caves", Schertler et al., 2017. Proc. 17th Int. Congress of Speleology, Vol. 2: 135-137.

Alex

Been to two of those but never heard of "Calder's Geo". Where's that? And is the reactor in Drenen not in the top 3? That was bloody huge.

tony from suffolk

From Wiki - "Calders Geo is an inlet in the western cliffs of Esha Ness in Northmavine on the island of Mainland, Shetland, Scotland. A cave on the north side of the geo has been measured at more than one and a half times the size of "The Frozen Deep", a chamber in Reservoir Hole under Cheddar Gorge in Somerset, potentially making it the largest natural chamber in Britain."

mrodoc

The Frozen Deep is the largest chamber that is not open directly to daylight. Other large chambers of this sort include Pridhamsleigh 2, Bishop's Palace, Big Chamber near the Entrance, GB Great Chamber and I am sure there are a plenty of  others. The Shetland site is a sea cave. Of course this is my point of view.

Rob

dmcfarlane said:
See "Deterministically Defining Chambers in 3D-Scans of Caves", Schertler et al., 2017. Proc. 17th Int. Congress of Speleology, Vol. 2: 135-137.

Thanks for the link, looks like a good start.
ManualSegmentationPaint.JPG

Would like to see the biggest 15 chambers run through this machine....

nearlywhite

The TLDR for this thread:

Mendip: GG's a Rock Shelter, Titan's a shaft, nothing in Wales counts so Frozen Deep wins by default
Everyone else: We're still not coming to Mendip