Namraed sump drops

SamT

:D :D

After 8 months of watching the met office rain fall figures - Namraed sump in bagshawe has finally dropped. This guards a large series of passages and drafts like mad. Its all hands to deck at the moment - replacing ropes/krabs. Lets see what saturday brings

8)

Johnny

Saturdays trip was excellent, we achieved a lot. All pitches now have fresh ropes and hangers. We have radio located Newall Aven and Madame Guillotine proving that, on the survey, the Hollywood Bowl system is out of allignment with the Upper Series.
Stabalisation of the rift in MG went well with Nige dropping a few ton of rock despite Sam trying to kill him from above.:shock:
Jobs yet to do;
Finish stabalising rift by dropping one large boulder and a little more gardening.
Get into rift and see how far north it extends.
Cap Calais crawl & get to other side.
Radio-locate end of Hollywood Bowl
Radio-locate end of Moose's Revenge

Looks like me and Sam will be in tomorrow night, possibly Thursday night and another radio-location trip on Sat (end of MG).

Johnny

Flippin' nora, not many are kid, a tha we me! 8)

Sam took the sharp end last night and did a sterling job, we had that cave booming! :D
The rift is choked but does, for me, fit the rift in Moose's. We need accurate distance and relative height measurements as the stratigraphy is worrying me a bit, tomorrows radio location trip should do this. We can, at least, forget about having that boulder hanging above us. Calais Crawl still needs doing. Let's hope the dry weather stays with us.

underground

Looks like we might be in for a bit of damp weather chaps. I effing well hope that sump's still dry when I get back from me hols next week!

A

Ann

:) Good luck for the weekend and tonight if you are going. I would love to go with you again but up to now I am helping Rich & Martin as I suspected. :cry: I'll let you know if the plans change. Thanks for a really good trip last week. I really enjoyed it.
P.S. Underground - Hope you manage to get in before it rains :!:

Johnny

Any time Ann, thanks for the help last Sat :D

Last nights radio location, well done Jase & Bog, has thrown up some serious questions about the existing survey that may change our plans.
Two teams in tomorrow, before the weather breaks 8)

SamT

Well thats that for now -

Me and johnny went in last night - no draft what so ever - The window has shut. :cry:

Oh well - no more back breaking trips in. :)

Just need john beck to draw us up the new survey following our radio locations and we can wait till next year - or dig a dry connection :wink: .

big thanks to everybody who helped over the last 3 weeks :D

SamT

Well me and jon went in last night and there was absolutly no air movement in the new series what so ever - compared with a howling gale on saturday. ( particularly noticable in the squeeze just beyond the iron gate). we couldnt muster the enthusiasm to ACTUALLY go and look at the sump since we were convinced it must have been shut.

However - john beck was very sceptical since he reckoned it had only put down 5mm of rain which didnt start until 2pm and he was sure it couldnt react that quickly.

It left me feeling dissapointed that we hadnt actually gone to look. but we were pretty sure at the time.

It might dry up again - depending on the weather :?

see ya laters to pick up those lanyards (and sit in your scoob)

Johnny

Sump may be down, I am dying to get back in and have a look. Trying to get in on Saturday but I cant find anyone to go with, no one wants to go back, dont know why :!: :?
I have had to call in some reinforcements, as sarge has selfishly gone to Italy with his girlfriend, me and me mate Simon are going in next weds. eve. Hope it doesnt rain too hard before then.

underground

You know why I can't go back on Saturday! Not a case of not wanting to is it? :D

Anyway, I was sure I felt some draught on Weds, even just at the gate...

A

Ann

Johnny said:
Trying to get in on Saturday but I cant find anyone to go with, no one wants to go back, dont know why :!: :?
:shock: I would love to go back but we are also having a race against the weather. Shame I didn't log on last week as our plans fell through on Saturday due to car trouble :twisted:

Johnny

Valliant effort from Bog last Saturday, we pushed Callais Crawl and I ended up with my head in new passage but unable to get through :x We eventually binned it and got to surface just in time to save my marriage :!:
Went in last night with Simon and knocked the squeeze about until I finally got through, 10m of hands and knees passage 8) , roof comes down at end, passage continues but to get there looks like a few hours digging.

Johnny

Underground
Bubba
SamT
Salty
Seamoose

Are any of you slackers going to get down the Hollywood Bowl and do some exploring :?: I have got to be in Germany next week and these dry conditions wont last forever. Simon is up for a trip tomorrow and next tue or weds eve.

SamT

:x

Slacker!!!

you what... so, bar yourself - exactly how many people have actually been beyond the bowl more than once then. Erm me. Who solo caved then climbed newhall aven on the first time through - erm me.
Who persauaded you that it was possible in an evening - right again.

I'll give you Slacker.

just you wait till me and simon find passages measureless to man on wednesday night.

:D

SamT

:D

Ok - so we could measure them - about another 10 - 15m . Walking sized this time. getting steeper - maybe 20-30 degrees. (we didnt have the survey gear with us :oops: )
leading up to a rubble choke at roof level. ( I can see jonny rubbing his hands with glee - dont worry jon - theres a crowbar down there waiting for you :wink: )

The passage is very clean as though it takes a lot of water from drippers. (which ties in with the clean streak through the mud at the bottom of Madame G.

the digging was easy - gravel and mud (sorry 'sediment') however it very quickly turned from nice stiff clay to custard gloop :roll: . which when your lay face down in it - trying to dig infront of you was most unpleasant. (sounds like a job for mudman) And cold.

So frustrating trying to dig/mole/squeeze you way in when your head is stuck out into standing sized passage :p

Two hours digging saw us in - quick snoop then out before my missus phoned the DCRO.

Got out about midnight.

I'll give you slacker - cheeky F**k. :wink: