Bagshawe update

SamT

:D

Last night, myself, Carl 'Bog' Bergman and Jon T, (after working some more on the culvert that has been dug to drain the upperstream sump in bagshawe), crawled up to the small chamber at the end of sump one. After sitting for a second, an unfamilier sound was heard. The noise of running water coming from sump 2. Close inspection revealed a tiny airspace.
I donned mask and hood and dived under for a look. It was a bit cold and late in the day for a serious push, but I think I could see the airspace getting wider on the other side.
We had another quick tat at a few strategic points to try and drop it that last couple of inches - a return trip is planned

8)

SamT

:D :D :D :D

Went for it last night and got through sump 2.

Still only about 1/2 and inch airspace which from under the suface looked to run about 3 feet then get bigger. Took a deep breath and went for it.
Nice passage rising up on the other side. Had a snoop along the right hand wall but dissapointingly there was not much evidence of any leads.
(the object of the whole exercise is looking for a corresponding passage to some crawls in the hollywood bowl series.)

I progressed but up the passage to where it sumped. Im not sure if this was 3 or 4 since 3 is meant to be a shallow 3m dive which I think could have dropped also.

So there you go. If we get serious with the culvert then 2 can certainly reduced to a duck.

I always thought the upstream sump went deep (maybe thats sump 3)

That is sump 5 = it goes to -31 meters to a silt choke. This is though a massive chamber called the Rubicon which divers have yet to explore properly - they've only followed the floor and cant see the top :shock:

getting to sump 5 will now be a lot easier and will feel much closer to home for the divers. :D

Thanks to bog and dave for backing me up last night cheers guys :wink:

A

Ann

:) Well done! Here was I nice and cozy in the English Nature offices listening to JT and BD. Guess where I would rather have been? Having said that a lot of hard work has gone into the conservation audit and it was very interesting to see.

SamT

yep - we met jon and bob in the miners afterwards to bask in some glory. Was Jim Thompson at the meeting or is he still in love :p

A

Ann

:eek: So that's why he's not been around. No he wasn't at the meeting.

bubba

Administrator
Now now boys :wink:

Sam I'd just like to remind you that you've been doing DIY for about the last four years or something.....and it's about time Underground moved on to his next pastime anyway. Bet you're wishing you never sold those golf clubs now, aren't you? :p

SamT

Shhh

Johnny will start banging on about not being able to cave on saturdays.

Kitchen is nearly finished - painted it a loverly shade of orange on saturday - just got to do the flooring (and gloss the back door and paint the pantry and skirting board the pantry and paint the cellar door and hang the origional kitchen door back on and finish varnishing the cupboard doors and fit the towel rail and a blind and ...and... and.... :roll: )

Hey - bubba - could you set up a ukDIY.com so we can all bang on about our diy stuff - doh.

Caving tue - wed - thurs this week so trying to make up for lost weekends. :)

SamT

Work has started in ernest on the dig at the end of sump one. This, we hope will connect to Arveschough's bed at the bottom of madame guillotine. There is quite a lot of water running out of what is a mud filled bed. By intuition it seems about the same amount that runs out of calais crawl and into arveschough's bed.
We have some flourocene for a dye test but the time and the voulenteers for yet another suit wrecking trip into Madame G are lacking :roll: . Maybe one night next week.

The dig progresses easily and we have reached a point where things are starting to look very interesting . Its taking a turn in the right direction and smoke is pulling in to the voids up ahead which also echo.

So - a draft - water - and an echo. :D :D :D

Oh did I mention the fact that the dig is a glutonous shite hole - happy as pigs in muck :p

A

Ann

:D I could be free on Saturday if anyone is short of a digging partner. Just contact me if you require any help.

Johnny

Is this a caving website or is it only reachable from the B&Q homepage?

Respect Sam, that duck is more than 3-4 feet, more like 6-8. Went through on Saturday with Bog & Dave Ottowell and it now has a nice fat rope through it anchored to a couple of large stainless hangers, nice one chaps.
One interesting find on Sat was an apparant greater flow on the far side of Sump II.
We also die tested the streamway to Springfields, allong with a couple of scientists from Huddersfield Uni, results on Sat.

Ann
I am going to the Full Moon Series with John Gunn & maybe Dave Webb on Sat, you are more than welcome tpo come along.

SamT

Ann - I know jon t is going into bagshawe on saturday with Dave webb and John Gunn.
Will be an good trip since they will be going up to the full moon series which is v.v.pretty.
give him a bell. :)