• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Yet another sinkhole under a house.

Subpopulus Hibernia

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2013/0301/breaking39.html

306365_1.jpg

Is it just me or has there been an awful lot of these stories recently?

Roger W

There was one in Guatemala last November - there, too, the woman said it opened up in her bedroom right under her bed.

Guess it's a good idea to make sure you've got your SRT kit with you when you retire for the night!

bubba

Administrator
The photo in the OP is one from Guatemala in 2007, not the one mentioned in the news report.

paul

bubba said:
The photo in the OP is one from Guatemala in 2007, not the one mentioned in the news report.

Indeed. And the sinkhole in question is in Florida, USA. From the Irish Times article linked above:

She estimated that the sinkhole was about 9m (30ft)  across.

Alex

People don't realise that Florida is karse country, so it could be a new cave she has found!

It will likely all mainly be underwater though.

Subpopulus Hibernia

Update:

Engineers plan to resume their work at a Florida sinkhole at daylight to do more tests on the unstable and dangerous ground that swallowed a man in his bedroom. They have already determined that the soil in the slowly growing sinkhole around the home is very soft and believe the entire house could eventually be devoured.

Jeff Bush, 37, is presumed dead after the earth opened under his bedroom, swallowing him. About the only thing left was the TV cable running down into the hole.

Sinkholes are a hazard so common in Florida that state law requires home insurers to provide coverage against the danger. The sinkhole, estimated at 6m across and 6m deep, caused the home's concrete floor to cave in on Thursday. It gave way with a loud crash that sounded like a car hitting the house and brought Mr Bush's brother running. Jeremy Bush said he jumped into the hole but couldn't see his brother and had to be rescued himself by a sheriff's deputy who reached out and pulled him to safety as the ground crumbled around him. "The floor was still giving in and the dirt was still going down, but I didn't care. I wanted to save my brother," Jeremy Bush said. "But I just couldn't do nothing." He added: "I could swear I heard him hollering my name to help him."

Officials lowered equipment into the sinkhole and saw no signs of life, said Hillsborough County Fire Rescue spokeswoman Jessica Damico. A dresser and the TV set had vanished down the hole, along with most of Bush's bed. "All I could see was the cable wire running from the TV going down into the hole. I saw a corner of the bed and a corner of the box spring and the frame of the bed," Jeremy Bush said.

At a news conference last night, county administrator Mike Merrill described the home as "seriously unstable." He said no one can go in the home because officials were afraid of another collapse and losing more lives. The soil around the home was very soft and the sinkhole was expected to grow. Engineers said they may have to demolish the small, sky-blue house, even though from the outside there appeared to be nothing wrong with the four-bedroom, concrete-wall structure, built in 1974.

Florida is highly prone to sinkholes because there are caverns below ground of limestone, a porous rock that easily dissolves in water. A sinkhole near Orlando grew to 122m across in 1981 and devoured five sports cars, most of two businesses, a three-bedroom house and the deep end of an Olympic-size swimming pool. More than 500 sinkholes have been reported in Hillsborough County alone since the government started keeping track in 1954, according to the state's environmental agency.

Jeremy Bush said someone came out to the home a couple of months ago to check for sinkholes and other things, apparently for insurance purposes. "He said there was nothing wrong with the house. Nothing. And a couple of months later, my brother dies. In a sinkhole," Mr Bush said. Six people were at the home at the time, including Jeremy Bush's wife and his two-year-old daughter. The brothers worked maintenance jobs, including picking up trash along highways.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0302/371676-man-swallowed-by-sinkhole-in-florida/

Andy Farrant

Hopefully those articles in The Guardian, BBC News magazine online, the scottish Sunday Post plus a bit on Radio Wales, (and on Radio 4's 'Saturday Live' this weekend) should all have been reasonably factually accurate because myself, Vanessa Banks and Tony Cooper have provided the information. We've been inundated with media enquiries all week...
Andy

exsumper

Hi Andy
As we're on the subject of Sinkholes. Would you mind answering a couple of queries myself and others have about fracking in the Mendip/Bristol district.

First: What do you think the  possibility is of the formation of large sinkholes due to the leakage of fracking fluid and groundwater caused by drilling through the beds of halite and Gypsum  that underly significant portions of the licensed drilling areas?

Second : the Earth Science agencies of  other European countries have identified significant risks of groundwater pollution from fracking, this has resulted in a moratorium. UK government reports on Fracking  however, suggest that the opinion of the BGS is that Fracking poses little or no risk of groundwater pollution. In the case of the Mendip /Bristol District, some of us beg to differ. Therefore would you mind  explaining the reasons for the marked discrepancy between the views of the BGS and  their European Colleagues;and increasingly the views of the USGS?

Cheers Alex

Andy Farrant

I'm not going to debate the pros and cons of fracking in the Bristol area on a public forum when I don't know the specific details of any proposals to drill any wells. To assess the potential hazards of fracking, it is better to wait until you have specific information on where and how deep a well is intended to be, and how much fluid is going to be injected at which horizon over what timescale. Then you can assess the data rather then make broad generalisations.

On the question of sinkholes, to get subsidence and sinkhole formation you need to dissolve and remove significant amounts of gypsum/salt, and then for that cavity to migrate to the surface. Salt is known to occur in the Triassic rocks at significant depth beneath the Bridgewater area. If the source is the Liassic clays, then these are above the Triassic rocks, so any BHs won't need to penetrate the gypsiferious beds. For info, in 1910 a borehole was sunk near Puriton, 4.8 km north-north-east of Bridgwater. This borehole, which was an unsuccessful attempt to find coal, fortuitously discovered rock salt within the Mercia Mudstone between the depths of about 183 m and 219.5 m from the surface. Subsequently the salt deposits were worked, over a period of eleven years, by means of brine-pumping. Despite commercial extraction of this for over a decade I am not aware of any surface subsidence or sinkholes caused by this. The main salt beds are much deeper at depths of 694-742 m below the surface. (see Nature 238, 265 - 266 (04 August 1972); doi:10.1038/238265a0).

The extent of the Triassic salt can be seen on the Somerset Mineral Resource maps published by BGS in 2005. It is restricted to the central Somerset area, and it does not extend beneath the Mendips or the Bristol area in any significant thickness.

exsumper said:
Second : the Earth Science agencies of  other European countries have identified significant risks of groundwater pollution from fracking, this has resulted in a moratorium. UK government reports on Fracking  however, suggest that the opinion of the BGS is that Fracking poses little or no risk of groundwater pollution. In the case of the Mendip /Bristol District, some of us beg to differ.

If you want the BGS opinion on shale gas and groundwater pollution, see our web pages http://www.bgs.ac.uk/research/energy/shaleGas/environmentalImpacts.html,
or contact our groundwater enquires team. If you have specific evidence to the contrary, let us know.

But we are now seriously off topic.
Andy

(I was hoping to see you at the BCRA Cave Science symposium - you missed an excellent meeting)