Thermals

Pitlamp

Merino wool based stuff; really comfortable against the skin and performs well in British conditions (i.e. wet, cold and miserable!).

Quite expensive - but - the "Mountain Warehouse" brand has a range at very good prices.

Only problem is I'm not quite sure to what extent they're tied up with the Edinburgh Wollen Mill Company, which has just gone into receivership. As far as I know Mountain Warehouse still has shops open, so should have at least some stock still. Google to find out?

pwhole

Very occasionally - and I mean very - Aldi stock Merino thermals - I picked a top up last year for ?19.99 and it's outperformed everything I've ever worn - I have it on now and just wear it as a shirt. It's thick, and hasn't run once or got even a tiny hole in, unlike other brands I've tried. They don't seem to stock them now though - maybe head office realised they were just too damn good.

AR

The Aldi merino wool stuff is one of their occasional special offers - they tend to be when they're doing skiiing gear but whether they'll bother doing that as a special in the New Year is anyone's guess given people are unlikely to be heading off to the Alps in the near future...

SamT

Decathlon do some merino stuff, not as cheap as aldi but cheaper than most.  Its quite thin though.

I've got a thick 'on one' (cycling brand) that is boiling, and nice as it has a longer/lower waist that most, so you can tuck it right down your kecks and keeps the wind out of your back!

PeteHall

You can often find merino wool jumpers in the charity shops around here (clearly a posh area!) for very cheap. One that is a bit small makes a great base layer when it's really cold.  (y)

SamT

Hi have an old 'helly'  that I use for caving and boy does it live up to its nick name.

Not sure how merino fares with being completely submerged, i.e. for wet caving.  a micro fleece will presumably drain much faster.

braveduck

Have worn Smartwool merino for several years caving and digging superb.
I have no problem with it when wet ,it wicks well .
A good tight fit is best .
Best time to buy is Black Friday in Skipton ,I got some really good bargains .

yrammy

Thanks for all your feedback. I still have a helly from the 70s but it is pretty knackered now and I have expended since then! I want them for hanging around in bird hides and doing wildlife photography so not planning of getting soaked. I might even go caving!

Pitlamp

crickleymal said:
Back in 1990 when I was an archaeologist Damart was one of the best. Don't know how they compare now though.

I think Damart became popular amongst cavers when they kindly sponsored several expeditions in the 1970s. (The big Ghar Parau expedition was probably one of the main ones, near the start of the 70s.)

I've worn both and in my view Damart is OK but merino is better.

One thing to watch is the long sleeves on Damart tops tend to be very short (a problem when you have a large ape index like me). The same applies to the leg length on the bottom half products. They must all be midgets in Bingley  ;)

Sam T's comment about Helly Hansen garments reminded me I have a long sleeved Lifa top which is lined with merino. Expensive but superb - and doesn't quite seem to justify the nickname Sam alluded to as much as normal Lifa gear. It's a bit too good for caving still; I use it when fell running in cold weather and it's great for that. It'll get downgraded to caving gear sooner or later.

Damart does last incredibly well. By chance, a few days ago I happened to come across a photo of me getting changed in Kingsdale. It was taken in 1989 and the first thing I spotted was the Damart top, which is still in use!

Pitlamp

yrammy - if you want dry thermal protection, your cheapest option may well be Damart.

Try:

https://www.damart.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKCAiAiML-BRAAEiwAuWVgguXAFFjhBXb_whiqWMaPy_cohDBG8C7gysG8n4lR0LJiYL4J1R_k5BoCtP0QAvD_BwE

(I don't find their Thermolactyl fabric especially good when wringing wet but really warm if it stays fairly dry.)

JoshW

I've been using (the same) Mountain Warehouse merino thermals (top and bottom) for years now, and cannot sing their praises enough. Cheap (25 quid each), comfortable, hardwearing (probably used for about 6 years now), and warm even when wet.