• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

nettle pot

Stu

went down nettle with the intention of doing the pull through section (the only bit i havent done). could i get the faffing rope to pull through the bolts!!? it was the first bit you come to (it may be the only bit! i didnt get any further!) after traversing out of suicide and through and over the boulders. i declined scrambling up solo cos there has to be a reason for the bolts!! isnt there? was it just me?

SamT

See my post under equipment/techincal - 'best knot for pull throughs'.

I ended up climbing up the first pitch - not too bad, and just as we were about to bag the second pitch the rope popped through. The system is appalling, I know there was talk about having a word with Ralph Johnson, who is the DCA representative, responsible for installing the pull throughs. (correct me if Im wrong anybody, apologies if so).

I think ralph has set them up so there are 2 completely separate systems. (which, I suppose, adhears to most all common advise about belays) However, the system doesnt function very well. There are commecially available systems. with wire and big rings. but these I think only rely on one point of contact (the ring). The one in eldon works fine. (this is a huge ring on a plate bolted directly to the wall.)

but the one in oxlow is the same as the one in nettle and we failed with that too :x .

so its not just you.

PS the passage beyond freeze squeeze and into derbyshire hall is beautiful and relativly well preserved - if you do get in there - please do your upmost to avoid damage to the floor and walls 8)

Stu

cheers SamT. now i know im not letting myself in for a whole world of pain i'll be back without lugging loads of unnecessary rope.