Ken Mellor RIP

nigel n

Sad to report that Ken passed away a couple of days ago. As long time landlord of the Quiet Woman in earl Sterndale Ken will be remembered by many Peak District cavers and climbers.  Beneath a seemingly gruff exterior Ken was a good friend to many and his pub was one of the few remaining real pubs where a chat and pint remained more important than a bland greeting and a gastro menu.  Our thoughts are with Jenny and the rest of the family.

nigel n

Yes, the Kings on the market place.  I think he left about 30 years ago.  I've seen "older" members of the Eldon in the Quiet Woman much more recently

martinb

I was resident in Buxton from 1983 to 1992 and remember Ken at the Kings before it got bought into the 20th century - I even worked as a barman when it got refurbed. I even visited the Quiet Woman on a number of occasions in those years.

I was surprised to come accross him at the Quiet Woman many, many years later after a trip down Owl Hole with Markc of this parish. The home made pork pies were a thing of wonder, - although not to my vegetarian caver buddy!

Sad loss.

Went up to see if he was open on a sunny evening last week and just thought it was still closed due to COVID.

Proper landlord and proper pub.

RIP