• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Hidden Earth Feedback

AndyF

Well, I thought Hidden Earth was a really great event. A big thanks is due to Les and Wendy and all the other people beavering away in the background who never get the recognition they deserve.

First one I've been to, and certainly it will be a regular event fo me from now on..

Cheers to the oragnaizers and all invloved on the day..... (y)

Andyf

O

Otter

I agree. I have been to many of these events and my impression was that visitor numbers was up on the past few years at least.

M

Mine Explorer

An enjoyable weekend.
Thanks to those who were involved in its organisation.  :clap:

caverholic

Great event even if there were a few technical problems  o_O

Anyone seen our clubs winning t shirt it was stolen or mislayed before the closing ceremony.

Some great lecture twas a shame not to see a derbyshire round up

paul

Yes, it was a very good do. Perhaps numbers were up due to location?

The Stomp was excellent, too!

Well done to Les and all those "behid the scenes"!

AndyF

paul said:
Yes, it was a very good do. Perhaps numbers were up due to location?

I think the location was good - very "central" to most caving ares in the UK.

Next year is Worcestshire which is also good, thoug ha bit further for the Yorkshire clubs...

...and yes the stomp was truely mad  :beer: :clap: :yucky: :eek:  I went to bed gone 3pm, I'm so glad my lecture wasn't on Sunday  oww my head :chair:

Mr Fell

A great doo and the Staffordshire Gold was brill too - much better than boddies. Many thanks to the organisers and lecturers for putting on such a fine show. (y) (y) (y)

Chris J

Yep - Excellent event.

Stomp was awesome and I noticed the lead singer didn't have to encourage the crowds after the break!!!

dunc

To echo all the above - very good (y) Although I made two day visits as I was unable to stay overnight so missed the stomp :(

Basher

Hi all, the event was a success indeed.
I was involved in the "behind the scenes" setting up from Friday afternoon, you cannot believe the amount of work that goes on behind closed doors!
The Technical crew and Staff work like 17th century miners, less the pay, & certainly devoid of any thanks for a stalwart effort.
I thought setting up our club stand was a mammoth task in years previous, ("BPC") which it is, but compared with all the setting up of the lecture rooms, PA systems, projection equipment, (all that are very heavy!), and the room preparation go un-noticed.
Like the blanking out of all windows, by swinging about on ladders with black plastic sheeting & gaffer tape.
Your Breakfast, the bar, etc.
And after the closing ceremony, when you all bog off, those who stay behind to take it all to bits.
These "behind the scenes" people deserve medals as big as dustbin lids!
Comments?
cheers
Basher

Les W

Hi Basher,

Many thanks for your comments, I would like to echo the sentiments, everybody worked very hard to bring the event to you all and make it a great success.  :clap: :clap:
I wouldn't normally single out individuals (there's no "I" in team) but mention must go to two people who went above and beyond the call of duty.
For those of you who didn't notice, we had a small technical issue with the closing prize giving. The presentation software that we were going to use to build the closing powerpoint to the two side screens failed to build it and these two people built it by hand at the rear of the hall in 20 minutes! It normally  takes most of sunday to do. Many thanks to Mark Kellaway (Mak) and Paul Wakeling (Ting Tong) for saving the day.  :bow: :bow: :bow:

Basher, your closing video was awsome, the concept was simple, but technically perfect, good film angles, excellent camera work and good tight editing. The music was spot on and appropriate to the subject, the perfect compliment.
I hope you enter it in some competitions where it will (quite rightly) achieve critical acclaim (and hopefully some awards). Many thanks for allowing us to premier it at Hidden Earth. :read:

SamT

Hi all - good to put some faces to names.

Echo all of the above.

Reading this makes me regret not making the effort to attend more of the lectures. I missed a few on saturday morning that I'd like to have seen but didnt arrive in time. Then felt too hungover on sunday and left earlyish.  :cautious:

the evening bash was good and people seemed to be enjoying the stomp.

Camping was perfect. (Cheers simon for the loan of your porch - oh and the post stomp beers  :beer:)

Overall - a cracking weekend, I'll be there next week.

Welll done to all those involved in setting the whole thing up, must be a nightmare.  :bow: