Calf Pingle (North) Mine Eyam.

Mrs Trellis

This gets a great write-up in DCA #118 Autumn 2003. Seemingly there's one choke to clear before Dusty Pits mine is reached with its caverns "as big as Eyam church".

What happened next?

Btw - what does the word "Pingle" mean in mining (I presume) terms?

AR

Pingle is actually an agricultural term, it's a small enclosed field, particularly a long narrow one - basically, a cottager's pasture for a cow or two. The mine name will have been take from the field it's in, which is quite a common practice in the Peak; one reason why tithe awards and old sale catalogues can be useful in mine research for putting a location to a mine named in the Barmaster's records.

As for the dig, Mark Noble or Ian Smith might be able to elaborate on what happened with it?

Mark

Mrs Trellis said:
This gets a great write-up in DCA #118 Autumn 2003. Seemingly there's one choke to clear before Dusty Pits mine is reached with its caverns "as big as Eyam church".

What happened next?

Lots of digging, a breakthrough into a lower level (30 fathom level), with lots of deep water, getting closer and closer to Dusty Pits.

Jim Lister dived the roofed level at the end, in December 2004, and found a complete choke of big rectangular blocks after 30 metres.
It sounds suspiciously as though this is the bottom of Dustypit shaft, blocked with collapsed ginging.

Im not sure what the current access situation is, but get on with the owner quite well.