Another landmark lost

Speleofish

If I lived in that housing estate, I might be a bit grumpy. I hope no'one had their washing out or their windows open....

mch

At least there are 3 cooling towers left. Apparently there are no current plans to demolish them.

Speleofish

I've always thought that you could make wonderful climbing walls out of cooling towers. I tried to persuade Oxfordshire council that they could turn the Didcot towers into an international climbing attraction but they weren't enthusiastic...

PeteHall

Looks like a small amount of my old pipework is still there at the bottom of the cooling towers, for now...

Looking back at my old photos, I can't believe we got away with installing all that without any lifting equipment and more to the point without getting caught  ;)

The power station were really hot on H&S and operated a mandatory reporting system; if you saw anyone doing anything you thought was unsafe, you had to tell them there and then to prevent a possible accident, then report it as a near miss. Following any near miss report, all those involved would be interviewed and disciplined if required.

As (somewhat cowboy) subbies, we kept a good look-out and worked fast when nobody was watching. Ironically, the only time I got reported for a near miss, it was for not wearing my fall arrester while "working at height" on a 3 foot high platform, that I'd just installed a handrail on! If only they'd seen everything else we were doing, and got away with!  :LOL:

In reality, it wasn't so funny at all. My boss was cutting corners and it was me who ended up putting my back out for the pittance he paid me. I remember lifting a huge ductile iron canister filter onto a post, after hauling it (with my caving kit) up to the platform above the settlement tanks. It was all I could do to get it into place and having got it sorted and the pipework measured up and fabricated, I then had to take it off again to take the post to be galvanised. I realised I'd had enough and handed in my notice, but during my notice period, for some reason, I still carried on and lifted the bloody thing back onto the freshly galvanised post, and that's when my back went ping...

Still, I learnt a lot and all I remember now is the good stuff, the feeling of being part of something; something big, the beating heart of the country... and that's the bit I'll miss.

Attachments

• P6220073.JPG
    P6220073.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 100

pwhole

When I was working at Drax in the rail unloading building that was almost complete, we had to do some work on the big vibrating hoppers underneath the track where the pellet wagons opened up - glueing polystyrene 'Toblerones' to the top of each steel beam for dust-shedding. Some of the gaps between the hoppers were about 14" wide - i.e your typical lead-mining stope, but our feet were only about 2m off the floor. The guy I was working with freaked out, as he couldn't handle the confined space, and stomped off, refusing to return. One bit was so tricky the only way to work was to rig the ropes from a 20cm length of scaff tube sat between the train rails, dropping them through a tiny gap in the decking, with us hanging underneath the floor. Typically two safety guys came strolling down the track and had an interesting conversation about what the f this bit of tube was doing there, and them trying to lift it up with their hands. One said "Why is it so bleeding heavy?". Eventually I had to shout up and tell them what I was doing, and they nearly died of fright - but once I showed them what we had to do they let us carry on, though declaring we were insane.

Tangent_tracker

that movie is an all-time favorite of mine! Zero-theorem got a little strange though but was quite good.

Sad seeing all these power stations demolished. My grandfather was the main troubleshooter for many of the North-Wests power stations before he retired. He even oversaw the building of Rugely B power hall. Regret not visiting that when it was doable really but there you go.

pwhole said: