Capping pin

S

Salty

I have built various capping pins made from steel or HC steel, I have also tempered their tips.

The problem is, they always bend!

The pins which i have used are 8mm dia, slightly tapered at the end with a concave tip producing a rim fire. is this the best design?

Does anyone have suggestions for the best design/material for the pin?

SamT

I was using a good one the other week - Robbie S had a long steel bar 18" by 1 " dia. in the end it had a hole that you could screw in 8mm threaded bar pieces. It just made you slightly more remote from the action. Like a snooker cue - it also had a little extension. The 8mm bar he was using was filed into a blunt chisel shape. didnt take much of a hit to fire (cant decide if thats a good thing or not) bit weary of them going off when you were tapping them home.

SamT

I was using a good one the other week - Robbie S had a long steel bar 18" by 1 " dia. in the end it had a hole that you could screw in 8mm threaded bar pieces. It just made you slightly more remote from the action. Like a snooker cue - it also had a little extension. The 8mm bar he was using was filed into a blunt chisel shape. didnt take much of a hit to fire (cant decide if thats a good thing or not) bit weary of them going off when you were tapping them home.