Digital video

ttxela

On a bit of a whim I bought one of these;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270085534178&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_BIN_IT&refitem=270085082371&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

with the aim of taking some underground video, I know you get what you pay for but do you reckon I'll get some reasonable results? maybe with one of those big re-chargeable flashlights.

ttxela

Just checked the sellers feedback, maybe the real question is will I get it at all  :-\

E

emgee

ttxela said:
Just checked the sellers feedback, maybe the real question is will I get it at all  :-\

That many failed to turn up in only a couple of months trading doesn't look good. How did you pay? On the plus side I doubt it'd be any good at all to film video in a cave without unfeasibly large lights so perhaps you'd be better getting your money back.

ttxela

Paypal, not sure what I was up to this morning.... it's been an odd day  :confused: still I guess it may turn up and be alright.....

ttxela

Seller is no longer registered with ebay when I checked just now, reckon I've been had  :cry:

ttxela

Just got the majority of my money back through paypal. All very easy and rather reassuring really.

Will try and take more of my own advice in future.

ttxela

Once more I have stuck my neck out and ordered this;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=290086367848&rd=1&rd=1

Did it whilst awake this time, I think it looks a bit more promising....

Peter Burgess

ttxela said:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=290086367848&rd=1&rd=1

Once bitten..... Twice bitten ......

ttxela

Peter Burgess said:
ttxela said:

Once bitten..... Twice bitten ......

Maybe... :unsure:

Rob

Looks pretty good, specially at that price, but I thought you were after a video camera?

ttxela

I was, but I reckon with a 2GB card and 640x480 with MPEG compression should be good enough for what I want to do........

Also I am easily distracted from my original aims.... ::)

ditzy 24//7

when on these sort of sites its always best to see the type of feedback the person who is selling has got before buying.

ttxela

ditzy 24//7 said:
when on these sort of sites its always best to see the type of feedback the person who is selling has got before buying.

Absolutely, the thing is I knew all this and knew it was dubious at the time...... :confused:    It just looked tempting in the early morning haze I was in. I'm confident it will all be alright this time though..... :-\

ttxela

It's arrived! All seems in working order although I'm too busy to give it a proper try at the moment  (y)

ttxela

Tried the camera out a little bit now (not underground unfortunately). I'm very pleased with it generally. The only annoying thing is that with every other camera I've used the computer instantly recognises it as an external drive. This one seems hell bent on only letting me use it through the Kodak software that came with it.

Luckily I have an SD slot on the PC so I can take the card out and use it that way.

The video function seems reasonable too.

E

emgee

ttxela said:
Tried the camera out a little bit now (not underground unfortunately). I'm very pleased with it generally. The only annoying thing is that with every other camera I've used the computer instantly recognises it as an external drive. This one seems hell bent on only letting me use it through the Kodak software that came with it.

Luckily I have an SD slot on the PC so I can take the card out and use it that way.

The video function seems reasonable too.

There's more than likely a setting on the camera deep in some menu somewhere as to which it presents itself as. My Olympus you have to press the right button with the card slot door open.

ttxela

Been using the camera a bit now and have taken some video, one of the reasons I bought the camera was that the literature said it used "mpeg4 technology" so perhaps nievely I assumed I'd get mpeg files out of it. Trouble is they are mov. files which I can't edit with windows moviemaker. I found another editing program but this will only let me edit one clip not add several together to make a longer video. I found a program that will convert mov. files to avi but put a watermark thing slap in the middle of the picture.

Anyone got a way round this? Why don't I get mpeg files out of the thing if it says mpeg on the box?    :unsure: