Discuss

TheBitterEnd

I just read this on Andy Kirkpatrick's blog (he's a guy who solos big walls :eek:)

In the end we decided that caving - perhaps also fell running - where one of the last bastions of true hardcore sport because they are so unsexy, and could never be made so.  Both are also as hardcore as it gets - far more then climbing Everest or running an Iron Man, but due to their lack of ?Dude!!!??ness no one cares.

The full blog post is here - it's really about base jumping.

So do we agree?

dunc

Hmm, just had a quick read, biased in that he suggests you can be a complete idiot in climbing and not kill yourself, a little strange to say the least. Obviously anything else he says should thus be treated with suspicion.

I doubt caving will ever be considered sexy, wearing neoprene, furry suits, gloves, pvc, cordura or variations thereof, unless you like a gritty kind of sexy! And long may it remain that way.

Anyway dudes, I'm off to plan my next mega-sexy-speleo-adventure, get with it..

:blink:

JasonC

Actually, the reason I like caving is that you don't need to be all that competent to get by (as those who know me will doubtless testify ;)) - unlike climbing and - especially - base jumping  :eek:  - so I don't think it's the hardest-core thing around..
Though it obviously CAN be for the heroic diggers and divers amongst us

ChrisJC

Furthermore, cavers are interested in caving, not posing in the carpark with their latest shiny bike / climbing widget / paddle etc.

Chris.

droid

Dunno about that.

You still get a bit of one-upmanship with the latest flashy SRT gear and harnesses.... ;)

robjones

droid said:
Dunno about that.

You still get a bit of one-upmanship with the latest flashy SRT gear and harnesses.... ;)

Which stays flashy only until used the first time underground... then it joins the pile of scratched, muddy stuff. In view of the ghastly price of flashy srt kit these days, how can we begrudge its purchasers their brief - very brief - moment of owning something flashy, clean and unscratched?

Amy

I thought the one-upsmanship was in how dirty, scratched up, and worn the kit was, not how clean and pristine  :-\

Joe.Bones

In the caving stores at uni there is a stack of callendars, full of nude cavers. Apparently not a single one sold, can't imagine why...

Les W

Joe.Bones said:
In the caving stores at uni there is a stack of callendars, full of nude cavers. Apparently not a single one sold, can't imagine why...

Well, I bought one of the SUSS ones a few years back  (y)

TheBitterEnd

It seems to me that the really "shiny" piece of caving kit is lights. Given limited oversuit choice and the Petzl hegemony, lights seem to be the main outlet for showing some individuality.

But what struck me about the blog post was the definition of "hard core", not risks taken or thrills experienced or glory gained  but things done for the personal achievement.

Slug

It has to be the lights these days......who's got the latest, brightest, longest lasting, and sometimes, the most adjustable settings on the next best thing to a Star Fleet Phaser attached to their lid......................"What..... You're still using a Filament Lamp ....with what looks like a Motorcycle Battery hanging on your belt....Oh how Retro"  ;).....what next I wonder, Running up a Fell and B.A.S.E. Jumping into a cave........at home via a C.G.I. Virtual reality hat maybe....caving having been banned as too dangerous.

Tony_B

I'm quoting someone else here, but can't remember who:

"Caving will never be considered 'cool' because no-one can see you doing it"

Just about sums it up, for me.

mikem

Andy Kirkpatrick is pretty hardcore himself if you look at what he has achieved. Caving is much more a stamina sport (as is fell running), whereas climbing (& the high profile short distance Olympic running races) require constant training to maintain your fitness to perform, whilst technique is far more important for us.

Mike

jonnyrocketboots

Agreed Mike,  Andy K has put himself in some extreme situations guys!  I've been to a couple of his theatre tours and these have been a great night out!  Very interesting talks, informative and hes bloody funny as well!  Sometimes pops up on www.speakersfromtheedge.com. Well worth a look! Get yourselves along and give him stick!  He's from Hull, He deserves it!!  Don't do what I did tho and buy his dvd afterwards as it's a recording of one of his shows.  That I just sat through! o_O

Scott