First aid

Wolfart

Just been clearing out my garage (might fit the car in there one day) and found our old club first aid ammo box
Question.
Does any club take a first aid box on trips, we used to especially on novice trips
Is it necessary to take one ?
If so what do you pack in them

D

darkplaces

On trips with my mate joker001 he normally stuffs a first aid pouch in his waterproof Barrel. I prefer to carry some duct tape. If I am taking a group somewhere were I am leading/navigating I carry a first aide pouch. I think as long as the group has first aid thats ok.

I think I saw in HnK in Bamford a waterproof first aid pouch? Neat idea!

cap n chris

IIRC there's a long thread on this topic somewhere in the archives of the now-famous UKCaving mass debating cavers forum. :wink:

cap n chris

Presently I am on my sixth first aid kit* but never had to use any of them**, thankfully.

* No matter what you carry them in, they don't last very long. (Even my small pelicase finally died from caving).

** Apart from the sterile water plastic tubes for clearing grit from eyes. (They are brilliant and every caver should have them).

Brains

Minor injuries, shout take the piss and abuse until victim goes home.
Major injuries, apply rock to base of skull and hide body. If asked "X" didnt come caving today.

No Problems :twisted:

AndyF

Any injury that can be treated by a first aid kit is minor enough to wait until outside the cave.... QED......plus I'm too lazy to carry one.

Except remote stuff abroad that is, when I sometimes carry Omnipon, a Hartmann's IV kit and Duct tape.

Usually fun at customs...

D

Dave H

I always carry a small first aid kit in a small kit bag (just slightly larger than rigging bag size) with enough rigging gear and rope to get someone up a 7m pitch (including enough tape to improvise a sit harness)

The first aid kit contains: tampons for absorbsion, duck tape for adhesion, and a triangular bandage and crepe bandage because there was space in the pot I use for it! It also contains 4 AA batteries and usually my car keys.

I used the duck tape to cover a cut once (not too bad and clean), but the lad had so many complaints afterwards, regarding the pain whilst trying to remove the tape, that it would have to be a fairly bad cut (probably requiring a tampon) before I'd bother again.

Stu

AndyF said:
Any injury that can be treated by a first aid kit is minor enough to wait until outside the cave.... QED......plus I'm too lazy to carry one.

Except remote stuff abroad that is, when I sometimes carry Omnipon, a Hartmann's IV kit and Duct tape.

Usually fun at customs...

True up to a point. Having been on the receiving end of a fairly hefty boulder; the two field dressings applied to the injury definitely enhanced the whole experience/recovery in a positive way.

Roger W

Brains said:
Minor injuries, shout take the piss and abuse until victim goes home.
Major injuries, apply rock to base of skull and hide body. If asked "X" didnt come caving today.

No Problems :twisted:

So that's where the odd smell in some caves comes from!

:roll:

W

wormster

the best first aid kit is in your head all you have to remember is:

(Say it together children)
A ir (is he breathing)
B leeding (tampons/ducktape, bandaids whatever floats yor boat)
C oncoiusness (Can you hear me Cap 'n Chris??)

yes I do carry a first aid kit either in my caving bag (dry caves) or my ammo box (Wet caves) and i'm also first aid trained.

rich

Dave H said:
I used the duck tape to cover a cut once (not too bad and clean), but the lad had so many complaints afterwards, regarding the pain whilst trying to remove the tape, that it would have to be a fairly bad cut (probably requiring a tampon) before I'd bother again.

My survival/handy pack contains gaffa tape and a small sterile pad. The two combined would make a decent dressing I think and tape is inevitably useful for other stuff.

I think it's probably a bad idea to apply tape directly to an injury unless it's an emergency. Even then I think it would probably be just as useful wrapped sticky side out, which would make it a bit easier to remove.

There is a bit of a lack of cave-specific first aid info around. Would it be a good idea to start a caving first aid wiki?

cap n chris

duct/gaffa tape doesn't work when damp or on damp skin; it's fantastic at home but is not fit for use in caves IMHO. Try it and report back...

E

epik

rarely (make that never) take first aid kit but used to when taking kids underground, it included;

small knife,
roll of thin band aid wadding - covered in insulation tape to keep dry,
insulation tape to wrap round wadding on wound - plasters come off,
few wipes - just to get worst off cut if needed before covering it up,
matches - in a film case to keep dry - dont forget to have the stricker in there too,
clear survival bag - cut hole in end place over patient to keep warm,
candle - to put under survival bag - this really does warm people up well,
whistle,
mars bar,
thin ballaclava - more to do with kids getting cold than first aid,
length of sling - not totally neccessary,
glow stick - again not always useful but doesnt weigh much.

all fits easily into a small bdh and is ample suplies to either get a minor injury out or leave a serious one down in comfort while cave rescue arrive. never really needed it but have used the survival bag trick on a kid who got too cold once.

Stu

cap 'n chris said:
duct/gaffa tape doesn't work when damp or on damp skin; it's fantastic at home but is not fit for use in caves IMHO. Try it and report back...

I'd like to reiterate this point. Gaffa tape and damp/wet don't work. What does, is zinc oxide tape. The thicker stuff is excellent and can be easily torn in half (length ways) when needed.

rich

cap 'n chris said:

Has worked for me lots of times. Maybe you don't use enough :)

Stu

rich said:
cap 'n chris said:

Has worked for me lots of times. Maybe you don't use enough :)

If you use half a roll maybe! Unless the area is dry it's not very good at all. Even then getting it wet seriously does it in. This from bitter experience years ago whilst paddling in France and various other times I've tried fixes..