• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

penyghent

zucca

hi to all,

Question time: has it been raining up in the Dales? Would Pengyghent be alright tomorrow? The Met office has changed its mind 8 times in the last 2 days re. weather in Hetton. Is it really necessary to take all the 11 ropes that NC mentions? I know that most pitches can be climbed (but being very very short means I will prob need slings, shoulders and knees in dry conditions) ... if the water level increases it might become a bit of an epic without ropes...

Thanks, Z

Brains

From memory my first and only trip there so far, a number of years back now, it took quite a time and we arrived at the sump with two bags of rope and a mess of hangers etc left over. We found very few spits other than on the big pitches, the majority being on naturals / climbed past with out noticing or just a sling. Took so long because there were so many of us, but this did mean there was plenty of time for the weather to change, had it been unsettled.
The met forecasts you mention can be best summarised as changeable, but if the forecast high pressure does materialise then you should be ok? The crawls and streamway would not be nice in flood...  :doubt:

dunc

http://www.cavedivinggroup.org.uk/cgi-bin/vishtml - good indication of recent rainfall in the Dales.
I've not been to Penyghent Pot (good old weather stopped me on a few occasions!!) - I believe some pitches can be climbed but better roped when wet.. Weather looks ok for Saturday but I would check the forecast on the day to be sure as they can be a bit iffy with advanced forecasting sometimes.

zucca

thanks to both! is that CUCC Duncan? case yes, you should remember me: I tried to stop you from destroying every last shred of crockery at the farm two new years ago, and failed.  :tease:

Speleodroid

Penyghent - one of the finest trips in the dales!!!  (y)

As Dunc says, forecast is looking fine for the weekend and it hasn't been that wet (according to the CDG viz) recently. I reckon you'll be fine, as long as the forecast is still good tomorrow morning...of course!

Yes, quite a few pitches can be free-climbed....but if your first visit, might just be worth taking ropes for them all?? Then you can always have a go at climbing some, but have ropes in case its a bit wetter than you anticipated or you're tired on the way out. Some of the climbs (e.g. 5th and 10th) are pretty exposed as well, and you certainly wouldn't want to have a fall.

Ropes: 12, 12, 55, 15, 17, 10, 15, 17, 12 m

Only p-hangered on first, second, third and fourth pitches (12 in total). Rest is mixture of spits requiring hangers, and naturals - take plenty of slings.

Hope that helps! Have a great trip!

zucca

Speleodroid said:
Penyghent - one of the finest trips in the dales!!!  (y)

Ropes: 12, 12, 55, 15, 17, 10, 15, 17, 12 m

Only p-hangered on first, second, third and fourth pitches (12 in total). Rest is mixture of spits requiring hangers, and naturals - take plenty of slings.

hey, thank you very very much! are those lengths from 'Not for the faint hearthed'? They don't correspond to either NC2 nor to selected caves.

Dunc, sorry, I have clearly mistaken you for another person :)

Speleodroid

Yep, a most excellent book....which i recommend you get a copy of!!!! I'll prob get told off for putting info from it on here, but Penyghent is one of those trips where you can easily end up taking far, far too much gear than is necessary....think i did on my first trip, ooooo, many years ago.....we emerged around 2am on a very, very, very cold februarys morning. Brrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

zucca

a copy of the book will travel with us, but I just don't have it handy now... Anyway, yes, I agree, I should buy it for myself. I will post back here if succesiful :)

seddon

Just to rain on your parade...Alum was wetter last night than I would have expected, which was, I think, mainly snowmelt. There's still a fair bit lying on the tops, so treat any forecast rain  with a bit of care - there a lot of potential water lying about.

Myer's Leap can get rather wet, and the lower streamway below can get interesting too; in water where the main pitch is perfectly reasonable (that is, not very high water). A Travelling line for the rift pitches, in conjunction with a confident and capable climber, might save lugging extra kit? The rift itself doesn't normally suffer from moderate high water.

You really want Pyschcrawler to answer this one definitively, he's spent an awful lot of time down there, and has seen it wet if I recall!

Whatever you choose to do, enjoy! - and take care

All pitches climbable except first, second (top move is dicey if there is nothing to grab at), third (lots of people climb up this but not many climb down it), fourth and Myers Leap.

Watch the weather! We went on a 'reasonable' forecast (light drizzle only) 20 odd years ago, and spent 17 cold hours in wetsuits at Eerie Pot waiting for the lower streamway to drop to a passable level. We were lucky as the Lower Streamway did not fill completely. The whole of the lower streamway floods drastically and high enough to wash gear at Eerie Pot down the pitch (I had to go down to get it back - bivi gear, stoves etc). The big pitch and some of the rift also become impassable and the entrance crawl sumps at the low bit before the first pitch (I've seen it sumped on the left and just passable on the right - and it's muchmore awkward going upstream when the water is this high).

Have a good trip - it is a fantastic cave. If you like crawling, I can recommend the Eerie Pot extensions.

Cheers,

AT

M

MSD

This "minimalistic" tackle list does require you to be quite a confident climber. Several of the climbs are quite intimidating and the best route down isn't always obvious. That's especially the case at Niagara and since by that stage you would have no rope left at all, you don't have the option of lifelining anyone in the party who doesn't feel 100% happy. An extra rope for the bottom pitches is not a bad idea. Although I've done the cave in the mnimalist fashion several times I did have an extra rope on my last trip and since it was reasonably wet conditions we were glad of it. OK, I could probably have managed the climb, but it felt safer and more sensible to have a rope.

Mark

zucca

Thank you very much for all the replies! what follows is a brief account of what happened on that potentially epic trip on Sat.

After packing three bags with all the ropes required in the rigging guide, we drove to Brackenbottom on Friday night and I woke up feeling sprightly and determined to go, come rain or snow. Faff, and 'who's gonna go where' ensued but finally I managed to convince one other girl (K) and one very chivalrous bloke (R) to come with me and pay a visit to 'the best cave in the country'. Quite a few people suggested to avoid wetsuit, because if you need wetsuit in PYP you shouldn't be there, as the reasoning goes, and I obliged by wearing my psychedelic frogs Warmbac fleece.
K was blighted 'by a dark sense of foreboding' (her own words) that just got worse as we hiked up the hill amongst the howling wind. The sky was blue and mud was frozen, what could possibly go wrong? We found the cave quite easily and faced the entrance crawl, a few 'urghh' and 'argh' and 'umphf' later got to the first pitch were K started a lightening speed rigging routine. Got down the first pitch, fell face down in the pool (how refreshing!) and down the canyon all right. What a nice and well behaved stream-way: the humongous tacklesack I was carrying didn't get stuck once! Down the second pitch happily we went, we turned left towards the third pitch head where a rope was in situ, ignoring it K flashed down what was supposed to be bone dry (just a trickle instead), we rejoined the main shaft and went down the fourth pitch. The main waterfall was hammering it down and the wind was more than a normal cave draft, and instead went in icy and wet gales. We ignored the gleaming warning sign and I took lead to start rigging the rift, went down the fifth pitch. Since I'm muppet, rather than slotting neatly in the dry rift on the left, I tried to follow the waterfall line but avoid the water, and unsurprisingly got wet. Ah! K followed me and started screaming immediately that she didn't like it and we MUST turn back. Bless a person with more sense than me...  so we uneventfully if soppily retraced our steps up and out with K and me derigging in turns. The entrance crawl was very very very rank. Apart from the low end bit, when keeping chest dry was an interesting task, the water was past elbow level most of the time. Brain cells were so frozen that I even considered if a tiny wet inlet was the way out, but then recovered from temporary idiocy and followed the main crawl which was draughting like an arctic dragon.  Got out, walked back with R carrying two big tacklesacks and K carrying the third one, with the wind almost blowing us over the steep hill.  Finally we reached the lovely heated floor of brackenbottom, warm water to defrost blue fingers and tea. By the end of this I felt so guilty that I offered to K the option to beat me , which she accepted, but  in the end she was too tired to even do that...will try again, in april, so I can tick it off the to do list and be done with it!

Time underground ~4.30hrs

seddon

Cave will always be there...

It's a grand place, but there's certainly nowt down there worth dying for. No harm in waiting until everything feels right (*enough*, at least) so that you can enjoy the trip properly.

Wait until those lovely spring days, when the canal almost feels warm!