• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Canon camera hacks (powershot D10)

dunc

Not sure if anyone is aware of the hacks already but thought I'd post just in case. / A very short review for the D10.

I've just recently purchased a Canon Powershot D10, after a year or two of dithering over which camera to buy - had to be a compact, waterproof and preferably work with Firefly 2s or possibly have long shutter option.

I was informed by a friend who had purchased one that they did work with FF2s (ie firing a single flash rather than having a pre-flash), upon getting underground the other weekend I tried and failed to get anything working! After much tweaking of settings (and cursing said friend for giving duff information) I resorted to borrowing another slave from someone on the trip (FF3-style) although with mixed results, owing to this I resorted to the long shutter setting with a 'slave' manually firing the flashgun (long shutter is max 15s on the D10 and an option I didn't have on previous camera so a learning curve!) and on-camera flash with occasional slave usage when it worked - the results can be seen here.

Later questioning my friend he informed me he had used a 'hack' on his camera, after downloading and using this I found that my camera could now fire a single flash and worked with FF2s! CHDK adds extra functionality to a variety of compact Canon cameras; manual flash, even longer shutter, RAW files, histograms and loads of other stuff I've yet to get my head around or decide if I'll ever use.. Can be used as a one off or loaded every time, obviously you take the minimal risk for the extras - worth it? Probably.