Issues with Unread Posts

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Bottlebank said:
Mind you the view unread posts option on here is just as unrealiable as it has been for months so I may have missed it, I've taken to using the recent topics option from the home page instead which unfortunately only goes back over the last ten posts or so.

This is news to me!!  I don't have any problems with this - does anyone else?? 

[gmod]Split from "BCA Party Weekend 2015" in UKCaving board [/gmod]

Filter

Pegasus said:
Bottlebank said:
Mind you the view unread posts option on here is just as unrealiable as it has been for months so I may have missed it, I've taken to using the recent topics option from the home page instead which unfortunately only goes back over the last ten posts or so.

The issue is that the "view unread posts" only shows the new posts since your last visit, so someone like me (or I'm guessing you, Pegasus) who check every day will not have any issues, but someone who might only check the forum every week or so might not want/be able to read every post (and so they will disappear from that list upon the next viewing).

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Filter said:
Pegasus said:
Bottlebank said:

The issue is that the "view unread posts" only shows the new posts since your last visit, so someone like me (or I'm guessing you, Pegasus) who check every day will not have any issues, but someone who might only check the forum every week or so might not want/be able to read every post (and so they will disappear from that list upon the next viewing).

But that doesn't make the unread posts 'unreliable' though.... :-\

Bottlebank

Pegasus said:
Filter said:
Pegasus said:
Bottlebank said:

But that doesn't make the unread posts 'unreliable' though.... :-\

It may only apply to me, although last time I mentioned it several other people said they were seeing the same thing (this may have been just before Pegasus and Badlad took over UK Caving).

See http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=17382.msg228842#msg228842

It's not as Filter describes it.  If I click on view unread posts and there are ten, I read a couple then close the window and come back to it the other eight will remain in the list - usually.

It works fine at times, this morning for example. At other times only a couple of posts or none at all will appear, but clicking on the home page there have been several, sometimes quite a few. A few days ago all the posts on the home page were showing as new, yet nothing showed under view unread posts.

As I said it's easy to miss something because of this.

Bottlebank

Ignore what I said about it being ok this morning.

I have just four unread posts currently under view unread posts, if I go to the home page there are ten new posts showing - it doesn't add up?

ianball11

Bottlebank

Do you think the double condition "Show unread posts since last visit" should be a single condition "Show all unread posts"?

I regard it as "Show new posts since last visit"

Bottlebank

ianball11 said:
Bottlebank

Do you think the double condition "Show unread posts since last visit" should be a single condition "Show all unread posts"?

I regard it as "Show new posts since last visit"

I think "Show all unread posts" would be much better.

It depends what you mean by last visit. I often leave UK Caving open in a window, other times I'll close the window and open a new one later, sometimes I'll have closed the browser, sometimes not. Occasionally (perhaps once a week after an update) my PC gets rebooted.  Posts I haven't read usually re-appear when I come back.

None of this seems to affect the problem, which seems to be completely random?

It's not a big deal, just means it's easy to miss something.

ianball11

Good filter Filter I too will bookmark that I think. Then use the mark all read button when I've read what I wish to.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Reading all this with interest (and mind beginning to boggle).

Does this mean that you don't look at the home page filter?  Just wondering, thanks, Pegasus aka Luddite

ianball11

I currently type ukc into my web browser address bar which suggests a few sites, one being Unread posts since last visit, which is what I select.  I rarely visit the home page of the forum.  When the Unread posts since last visit loads, I right click on the orange, new post link on the threads I am interested in and open them in a new tab, then close the tab once read.  I close down all of them once read and then do that all again next time I look at the site, I often don't close the browser itself but that doesn't matter.

I have experienced what Bottlebank is on about, when you login and click 'unread posts since last visit' and then accidentally close the browser, then open and load up the site again, ( I don't logout) then click on Unread posts since last visit, which obviously only shows one or two posts as I last visited a few minutes earlier.

I think Bottlebanks problems will all be solved by using a show all unread posts.

bograt

I have UKC in my "bookmarks", have no problems logging on to the site, if the home page is full of new posts click onto the 'unread posts' tab, then click on the title line where it says 'click here to try all unread posts' -- no probs, good for me!!.

Using Chrome, not an issue with me, keep up the good work Pegassus (y) (y)

kay

ianball11 said:
I have experienced what Bottlebank is on about, when you login and click 'unread posts since last visit' and then accidentally close the browser, then open and load up the site again, ( I don't logout) then click on Unread posts since last visit, which obviously only shows one or two posts as I last visited a few minutes earlier.

That's interesting, because I get the opposite - I select ukc from my browser history, select "unread posts since last visit", read the posts I want to, then navigate away, or close the browser. When I return, whether I simply navigate back again, or have closed the browser in between, I've still got all my unread "unread posts" waiting for me. Useful when I come back from holiday - I don't have to catch up with 4 pages of unread posts in one go. Drives me distracted at other times because things I don't want to read just hang around. Eventually the disappear, but it takes about 4 days.

I don't log out, and I'm using Firefox.

Filter

There seems to be a mixing of terms here. There are two "unread" pages:
  • "Recent unread topics" (which can be accessed by clicking the "Unread Posts" link on the forum). This will only show what has happened since the last visit.
  • "All Unread Topics", which shows everything unread, every time.

The former has a link to the latter in case you ever forget. The "last visit" is determined by (I believe) session cookies, which are generally reset at the end of a session (i.e. closing the program), unless your cookie settings are set up differently.

Pegasus said:
Does this mean that you don't look at the home page filter?  Just wondering, thanks, Pegasus aka Luddite
Correct. There's nothing on the home page that I wouldn't see in a new unread post, so I generally don't visit.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
So a question...

I put competitions up on the home page and try not to annoy folks too much by constantly posting 'look competition, please enter' sort of thing.  However if I don't 'bump' the competitions and folks don't visit the home page what's best to do??

Entry into the Spanset 300m (yes that's 300m!) of rope has been a bit slow - I have received a number of messages/comments from cavers telling me they are struggling with the 'training' theme, however maybe forum members aren't visiting the home page so not aware there's 300m (yes that's 300m!!) of rope to won - in 12 days!!  ;)

ianball11

I suppose if people post then I see the thread each time I log on and choose to look at it so you would only need to bump it if no one is posting, which would seem to be the case this time.

Bottlebank

Filter said:
There seems to be a mixing of terms here. There are two "unread" pages:
  • "Recent unread topics" (which can be accessed by clicking the "Unread Posts" link on the forum). This will only show what has happened since the last visit.
  • "All Unread Topics", which shows everything unread, every time.

The former has a link to the latter in case you ever forget. The "last visit" is determined by (I believe) session cookies, which are generally reset at the end of a session (i.e. closing the program), unless your cookie settings are set up differently.

Pegasus said:
Correct. There's nothing on the home page that I wouldn't see in a new unread post, so I generally don't visit.

Since my last visit around 5pm yesterday according to the home page the "Show unread posts since last visit." link tells me there are three new posts. The link you've posted above and the home page show there have actually been eight.

Which is why I describe the "Show unread posts since last visit." - which yes, takes you to the "Show Recent Unread Posts" page, as unreliable!

I hadn't noticed the link to the "All Unread Posts" page - that does seem to be the answer.

As a side issue I don't think your server likes us talking about it like this, it seems to be on a go slow :)

I also normally don't use the home page although I have been whilst I've been looking for missing messages! I have the Recent Unread Posts page bookmarked.

Filter

This might be me misinterpreting your statement, Bottlebank, but if four people post on the same thread it will show up as four posts in one topic (i.e. the front page will show four messages, the "unread posts" will only show one).

Pegasus, I honestly think that the rope giveaway isn't as popular as the oversuit comp because it requires a bit more than simply entering your name on a thread; there's actual thought that goes into it (and some people simply might not have "funny" or "exciting" training stories).

Bottlebank

Filter said:
This might be me misinterpreting your statement, Bottlebank, but if four people post on the same thread it will show up as four posts in one topic (i.e. the front page will show four messages, the "unread posts" will only show one).

Probably the way I wrote it.

Nothing to do with the number of posts on a topic. Each topic with a new post, or posts shows once in either page, which is fine.

It looks to me as though "Show unread posts" must have a fairly short delay set somewhere, whereas "Show ALL unread posts" doesn't. I hadn't spotted the "Show all unread posts" link before, and it seems to have fixed the problem.

I think people are probably happily using the "Show unread posts since your last visit" link without realising that it isn't in fact showing all the posts, just the later ones, and they think it's working fine.