Notts Pot - hanging death gardened

adventurebarbie

This is the sort of thing that many others will be doing/have done on many the occasion without comment.

I did however want to highlight this instance as a reminder to us all, newbies and expeditioners, no matter how experienced to never take, even the honey pot caves for granted.

At the weekend we did a quick jolly down Notts Pot and we noticed, not at first mind that there were a load of boulders at the edge of the 1st pitch into the main chamber. They looked no different to all the boulders along the rest of the passage, but when we looked back up underneath they were overhanging! so we gardened them with remarkable ease.

What alarmed me and reminded me to keep vigilant at all times is that the boulders were stacked up, precariously but not obviously overhanging the pitch and in a way that concealed the edge of the pitch.  What made for a seemingly perfect boost up to the 1st bolt of the traverse line was a potential nasty accident. If we weren't always so paranoid, they may have made for an exciting shower on someone below.

This may be obvious to some, patronising to others but maybe useful to others so there ya go.