Author Topic: Plugs and feathers query  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
Re: Plugs and feathers query
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2021, 07:58:27 pm »
Spacing wasn't perfectly even but on average about 100 mm apart.

With plugs & feathers it's advisable for the holes to be in a line, to be considerably deeper than the length of the plugs & feathers - and to be as near as possible perpendicular to the rock surface. That's in an ideal world but sometimes, in a boulder with an irregular surface, it's not always easy. Done properly, it's quite amazing how powerful these things are.

The stonemason I had the good fortune to bump into t'other day was describing their use to split off rectangular blocks as long as 30 m, very precisely. There are videos of professional use of plugs and feathers, on a scale larger than we potholers would ever be involved with, on You Tube.

UK Caving

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2021, 07:58:27 pm »
Warmbac

Offline marysboy

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2021, 04:50:53 pm »
Re splitting large rocks in quarry:

Offline Fishes

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2021, 05:56:31 pm »
I've used plug and feathers quite a lot when digging and find them much easier to use if you lubricate the plug. This also seems to reduce damage on the plug and the feathers with repeated use.

Mine are 14mm. I find them more effective than the smaller ones Jopo used to make (sorry Jopo) and 14mm isn't really a problem with modern drills.

I did find smaller ones available in the US but it can be a real pain getting stuff from the US with some suppliers.

It can be quite easy to lose parts of the plug and feathers in some circumstances but some of the Chinese imports come with a "rubber" moulding to help keep them together. John Beck used to use this type and we also now have some in the Derbyshire CRO kit but I haven't used them personally.

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2021, 08:53:17 pm »
This is a bit more like the sort of job us potholers might want to do:

Offline NewStuff

• Gobby McGobface
  • junky
  • www.dddwhcc.com
    • Deep Dark Dirty WetHoles
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2021, 10:26:12 am »
I've used plug and feathers quite a lot when digging and find them much easier to use if you lubricate the plug. This also seems to reduce damage on the plug and the feathers with repeated use.

Unless I was taught incorrectly, then lubing the plug (Quiet at the back!) is normal and recommended. Lithium, Moly, Shell Gadus (work perk)... I've used all sorts, it just needs to be something to reduce the friction. I found Lithium attracted a lot more grit though, and needed more cleaning so as not to have an abrasive action.
Permission? Wassat den?

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal