Matienzo - Insurance

blakey

Hello All,

Off to Matienzo in November and need to sort some insurance.

Anyone got any suggestions?
Good stories/ bad stories about companies?

Thanks.

Tony_B

SWCC members have usually insured ourselves with Snowcard for foreign trips. I don't think we've ever had to claim but they do at least seem to understand what caving is about - they have different categories of insurance depending on whether you are doing exploration or just tourist caving, and so on. Look at their website and get a quote. 

rsch

I've made a claim off Snowcard, though for lost\stolen baggage rather than anything to do with a rescue scenario. The claim was handled smoothly enough that they've had my custom ever since.

cavermark

Dogtag seem good.

ADAC (german version of RAC) are quite cheap for annual cover, a caving contact who works for them assures us the cover is good, but it is untested and all the info is in German.

Gollum

Why don't you just ask Sam because he had first hand experience when he had his fall. People can recommend because of cost but what realy counts is if the sh*t hits the fan.
Always been with snowcard myself for that very reason

Alex

I think I used STA which were cheap and covered everything I needed i.e. "Expedition caving".

Olaf

Also read the small print very carefully: Snowcard explicitly covers "Search and Rescue" costs up to a lot of money, which includes helicopter lifts. Most other travel insurances only cover medical expenses and don't mention such things as "Search and Rescue" with a single word. Depending on how well you get on with the local cave rescue (and depending on whether there is something like a well funded rescue service at all in the country you are visiting or whether you'd just have to know the phone number of someone with a helicopter and hope for the best) this might be a rather important little detail!

Les W

On a Wessex trip to the Diau in France a couple of years back we had cause to call out cave rescue (Somebody broke their pelvis...) and had a major incident, including a protracted (24 hours) rigging of the cave and carry out, but also helicopter evac from the entrance, directly to the hospital in Annecy.

Snowcard paid it all with no arguments and were incredibly helpful.
No complaints at all on their service.

(y) (y) (y)

Jude

When JRL got pneumonia in Matienzo Snowcard were apparently excellent. Even put him & his brother up in a hotel for 2 days after hospital & paid for ferry home as Dr had said he couldn't drive.

badger

you do have to read the small print as been recommended above, the other thing to look at is to see who the underwriters are this will be a big clue in if therre is a claim to how it will be handled. I know snowcard are underwritten by a good company (personally vouched for by my local brokers who could not get anywhere near snowcard),  Dogtag underwritten mostly by a german company so would think it would be ok