• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

What type of Camera?

ianball11

There's the possibility that we may be bought a serious camera to record our underground activities. Although disposables are okay for what they are, for publicitiy stills we are looking for a tougher bigger flash, waterproof etc camera for as cheap as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions?

bubba

Administrator
I'm a bit of a cave photography virgin myself, but have been playing with a sony digital cam. The nice thing about digital is you can check your results on the spot, but the downsides are a lack of control over your pics, unless you can afford the proper digital slr's that are appearing now.

Any on-camera flash will suffer badly from reflected fog from steam and breath, especially in small passages, so a detatchable flash or alternative lighting is a must. I can recommend having a read around the uk cave photography group webpages.

Whatever you go for, I can thoroughly recommend a Pelican "peli-case" to keep it in. These cases are fully watertight, float, and are tough as old boots.

ianball11

Thank you indeed. I will admit that it looks expensive to get involved with photography at a level which makes things exciting, and not being that interested in photography above ground, I am looking for a cheap option. I suppose a good trek around Oxfam would be a good idea.