1949 Photographs of OFD

langcliffe

I have added some photographs of OFD to the Peter Binns Collection in the BCRA Online Archive, which were taken in August 1949. We know very little about the trip apart from the fact that Lewis Railton and Peter Binns were on it, and if anyone can identify any of the other members of the party, that would be great. In particular there is a birthday party celebration in the last two photographs for a very distinguised elderly gentleman. Does anyone know who he is?

Comments about the locations will also be welcomed.

https://archives.bcra.org.uk/binns.html

No idea who the birthday man is but in the last photo the man standing behind on the right in the check suit looks quite similar re. nose, chin and eyebrows so possibly related in which case that might give someone with useful knowledge a bit more to go on.

Jim

mikem

The first picture that says No Information appears to be the same formations as the next picture.

Is Les Railton also Lewis?

Doesn't help much with your questions, but:
https://www.swcc.org.uk/aboutswcc/history/members/piwh_1/furtherexplorationofdl.php

langcliffe

mikem said:
The first picture that says No Information appears to be the same formations as the next picture.

Is Les Railton also Lewis?

Thanks!

I've been wondering whether the gentleman is Aubrey Glennie, but I only met him once, and that was a long time ago.

Allan

Hi
It was Lewis Railton not Les.
The link has been copied to the SWCC Photo Archivist for his information and assistance.
Cheers
Allan

langcliffe

Allan said:
Hi
It was Lewis Railton not Les.
The link has been copied to the SWCC Photo Archivist for his information and assistance.
Cheers
Allan

Thanks - the "Les" was a typo on one caption that was corrected immediately after mikem brought it to my attention. Thanks also for forwarding the link.

Allan

Hi Langcliffe
The SWCC Photo Archivist says he can name all the people on the photos, he is away at present but will do it when he gets back some time next week.

Allan

langcliffe

Allan said:
Hi Langcliffe
The SWCC Photo Archivist says he can name all the people on the photos, he is away at present but will do it when he gets back some time next week.

Allan

Excellent - thank you so much!

Allan

Info from Jem Rowland SWCC Photo Archivist.

SWCC has Photo No 15, the names of the people are below.

Aubrey Glennie's birthday (either 65th 1954 or 70th 1959) at the Ancient Briton, Penycae. Back L to R: Gwyn Tudor, John Davies, Will (Landlord), Charles Freeman, Colin Hill, Marjorie Railton, Mary Hazelton. Front L to R: Mrs John Davies, Peggy Griffiths (Landlady), Aubrey Glennie, Ashford Price (Senior), Mrs. Price, Lewis Railton with dog Ricky

langcliffe

Thanks, guys! That's brilliant! I'm wondering, however, if it could be Aubrey's 60th. The other photos date from 1949.