Passport warning - don't get caught out

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Have a read of the item below which I've copied from elsewhere.Β  Pegasus nearly came a cropper with this and it was only the vigilance of a travel agent that prevented us losing a lot of money...

πŸ”΄πˆπŒππŽπ‘π“π€ππ“ ππ€π’π’ππŽπ‘π“ 𝐔𝐏𝐃𝐀𝐓𝐄 π‚π‡π€ππ†π„π’πŸ”΄
Due to changes in validity since leaving The Eu , your passport is now only valid for 10 years from the issue date on your passport. If your passport was issued prior to the UK leaving the EU with additional months on, those extra months are no longer valid.
π„π—π€πŒππ‹π„:
Passport issue date 21st Jun 2012
Passport expiry date 21stΒ  Dec 2022
Your passport expiry date is now the 21st Jun 2022
Most countries in the EU require that your passport is valid for 6 months on the date of return from your holiday , some countries it?s 3 months, meaning the last date you could return on the above example would be the 21st Dec 2021
I have seen lots of stories on the news of people losing thousands of pounds as they did not know about this new rule.
πŸ‘‡You can check if your passport is valid on the below linkπŸ‘‡
https://www.gov.uk/check-a-passport-travel-europe

Also worth noting that if you do need to renew your passport very quickly it is near impossible.Β  The Premium service the passport office offer was booked solid for over two weeks and then the only appointment offered was in Belfast.Β  If you persevere with Fast Track you might just make it but you need more that a week spare.

Another one of the joys of Brexit I'm afraid.Β  Be warned

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
:mad: :mad: :mad:

What a bloody nightmare this has been!

Thought at one point I'd not get my passport renewed in time, guy on the 'help' line suggested I contact the airline or the Greek embassy - yes, of course, I can just see those organisations being able to alter the new rules just so I can travel!
Then there was one appt to visit in person in Peterborough which is flipping miles away from where we live. I booked that but kept checking for better appts. 5 eventually came up in Liverpool so I amended my original appt- by time I went to confirm only one was left in Liverpool :eek:

Hopefully, the week turnaround promised will be a week, if not no holiday for me.

If you are travelling, check your passport carefully as there's no public info campaign to tell people about this. I have bought a big box of chocolates for the lady at the travel agencyΒ  ;)

Brexit - the gift that keeps on giving.....

Pitlamp

Sorry to learn of your difficulties Pegasus. Shame there's no "my fingers are crossed for you" icon.
I know someone else who has the same difficulties. He has an appointment the morning of his flight with the passport "service". If just one thing doesn't go exactly according to plan that day, he's screwed.

But my conscience is clear; I voted against this Brexit mess.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Ian Ball said:
Kids passports are probably just as much a pain as they were were before, lasting 5 years I think.

Supposedly, that's the problem. Lots of parents taking their kids on holiday and realising passports have run out as only last for 5 years so using the premium and fast track services.

moletta

Ryanair say six months although this may not actually apply in the country you are flying to - I don't know if they would refuse to fly you though

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
moletta said:
Ryanair say six months although this may not actually apply in the country you are flying to - I don't know if they would refuse to fly you though

Some countries are six months, some only three, and it can vary even more.Β  Airlines will not let you board if your passport does not comply.Β  That's not the point of this warning though.

Many pre Brexit passports had both an issue date and an expiry date.Β  In these cases the expiry date is no longer valid.Β  it is ten years from the issue date only.Β  Then, of course, it needs to be valid for so many months after your planned return depending on your destination and these need to be subtracted from the ten year date.

In our case the passport expiry date was August 2022 but the issue date was November 2011.Β  Its now only valid until November 2021.Β  As the country we are going to requires three months to be left on it by our return it means it actually ran out in August.

Consequently there are a lot of people rushing to renew their passports and the passport office is over whelmed.

Paul Marvin

moletta said:

Being Ryan air probably yes , I do use them but hate them as well

crickleymal

I know the EU have legislated against the add-on months but I'm still a bit confused as to why you need 6 months remaining on your passport just to go on holiday.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Some EU countries are only three months.Β  I presume its in case you get delayed or stranded.Β  At one point years ago Malaysia demanded a full years validity.

Stuart France

This is not an EU/Brexit issue.Β  Most sovereign states have set minimum passport lifetimes for visitors and other conditions like onward air tickets out of the country and evidence of finance for their stay.

For example, the UK and USA and China and Thailand all require arrivals to have 6 months life left in their passport after their planned departure date from the country.Β  For New Zealand it's 3 months.

Canada and Australia don't seem to bother with this sort of thing so long as your passport's life covers your entire intended stay.

How long you are allowed to remain in the country on a pre-arranged tourist visa or a "visa on demand" obtained at the border varies from country to country.Β  For Thailand, you get a month entry permit on demand at the arrival airport (or is it 28 days?) but if you then pop over the border into Laos, even for just one day, then when you come back into Thailand they generally shorten the remainder of your original stay, but you can go to the nearest regional visa office and apply to extend it (for a fee).

International travel is full of these rules and regulations, and always has been.Β  All part and parcel.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Stuart France said:
This is not an EU/Brexit issue......

Yes it is - see the OP....

"Due to changes in validity since leaving The Eu , your passport is now only valid for 10 years from the issue date on your passport. If your passport was issued prior to the UK leaving the EU with additional months on, those extra months are no longer valid."

This is what the warning is about.

crickleymal

Badlad said:
Stuart France said:
This is not an EU/Brexit issue......

Yes it is - see the OP....

"Due to changes in validity since leaving The Eu , your passport is now only valid for 10 years from the issue date on your passport. If your passport was issued prior to the UK leaving the EU with additional months on, those extra months are no longer valid."

This is what the warning is about.
Not if he's answering my question about the minimum 6 months remaining.