Cave Data Archive - Making survey data available

andrew

The other thread was so far off topic (why am I not surprised) that I thought a new one more appropriate.

Thinking about this a bit more, the dataset that I am working on is 750Mb, not really suitable for a wiki, plus it has had about 300 changes through the year, by a few different people, which would make maintaining a separate dataset impossible.

Anyway it got me to pull my finger out, and with a bit of help from BCA web people there is a test site up and running. The Cheddar Catchment data (mainly UBSS and MCG, but lots more contributors as well) is the one that we are using to test it. but all should be able to see the changes (although learning Therion might be a steep learning curve, but well worth while).

The data is in a version control system (SVN) allowing multiple people to access the data and change it, if permissions are granted. The Cheddar data has 5 people who are allowed to edit it, and if some simple rules are followed, causes very few problems, even across different platforms

If this works, hopefully it will be a place to for clubs/people to store survey and other cave data. Nothing will have to be re-done because the data has been lost. See

http://www.cave-registry.org.uk/

graham

langcliffe said:
Great idea, great job! Unfortunately, the front page of the web site is somewhat unreadable...

Umm, I told him it was fine ... Still if even my aged eyes can read it then it can't be that bad. If you mean the words, they have been edited but not yet changed.

andrew

Woops, forgot to upload the css file, now should have red/pink links.
(Don't forget to clear your cache!)