Most comfortable non-wobbly helmet

Keris82

Went on my first "caving"(mine) trip in Bedlams since being allowed to go out yesterday and my helmet was driving me nuts. The damn thing kept falling over my eyes when I was crawling along a passage  :unsure: Took it off and attempted to adjust the strap snapping the rivet on the back attaching the strap to the back of the helmet  ::)

So my question is, what's the best helmet that stays put with a heavy scurion bolted to the front? I was looking at the edelrid ultralight which is out of stock in most places now and the camp rockstar. Are these any good?  :confused:

Speleotron

It probably depends on the shape of yer 'ed to be honest. I'd go to a sports shop and try a few out. Some sports shops are still open due to selling bikes etc., or you could meet the Starless River van somewhere.

tamarmole

The Edelrid Ultralight is a great helmet, I've been using them since the 90s and love them to bits.  Good stable cradle.

Keris82

tamarmole said:
The Edelrid Ultralight is a great helmet, I've been using them since the 90s and love them to bits.  Good stable cradle.

They've changed them so not many of the old style are left now. I think Tony has them tho

PaulW

Sam and I both use petzl boreos, Sam has a size 1, mine is a size 2 both with scurions on, both work well, but its down to head size and shape

Ali M

The Edelrid Ultralight is the most comfortable helmet that I have ever owned for years. It is also available in a smaller size and therefore does not rock about on my head, giving me a headache.

Speleotron

The ultralight is the best, it's a real shame if it's been cancelled. It's the only helmet that fits my huge head well. And despite its name it's quite robust, more so than the modern foamy nonsense.

Keris82

Speleotron said:
The ultralight is the best, it's a real shame if it's been cancelled. It's the only helmet that fits my huge head well. And despite its name it's quite robust, more so than the modern foamy nonsense.

Up and Under and Starless River still do them, for now....

phizz4

Another vote for the Edelrid Ultralight. I've tried 3 or 4 versions of Petzl helmets for both climbing and caving and not got on with any of them, they just don't seem to fit my head (or vica versa). At the risk of being blasphemous Amazon have got Edelrids advertised if you have no luck with Starless River.

Keris82 said:
So my question is, what's the best helmet that stays put with a heavy scurion bolted to it

Best I managed was a Petzl Vertex, old one, not the latest, but I have up eventually as the continual flopping drove me mad.

Converted my Scurion into a hand torch and bought something lighter.

PeteHall

I've used an Ultralight, and found it very comfortable, but I've always liked the way the Petzl Ecrin can be so easily adjusted. This is particularly handy if you are putting on/ taking off a neoprene hood during your trip, as you can readjust in seconds.

I've been collecting them ever since Petzl announced that they would be discontinued. I had 4 until last week, when I picked up a bundle of caving gear off Facebook marketplace for ?10 that included two more. I gave one to a mate and will probably hang onto the other one, but I'd certainly recommend anyone after a caving helmet to keep their eyes open for a 2nd hand Ecrin.

As others have said, it does depend on the shape of your head, so see what you can borrow and try out before parting with a pile of cash.  (y)

Keris82

Tribal Chestnut said:
Keris82 said:
So my question is, what's the best helmet that stays put with a heavy scurion bolted to it

Best I managed was a Petzl Vertex, old one, not the latest, but I have up eventually as the continual flopping drove me mad.

Converted my Scurion into a hand torch and bought something lighter.

I was thinking of buying a lighter head torch!

pwhole

Hahah - I'd been trying to resist posting that, but seeing as you have...

I know they don't make them anymore, but the Stenlight is the best 'commercial' model I ever bought as it weighs next to nothing, and is very powerful - and the reflectors are the best I've ever encountered - there is literally no edge to the beam and with very dim settings possible, so perfect for digging and close-up work. Roy Fellows makes some stunners too though, and I have one of his Dragons, which is a bit like a Stenlight on its side, but more powerful and with a more pronounced beam, so I use this for bigger trips - on a different helmet. The battery pack balances the light perfectly too, so no wobble. I've got an old Vertex and an old Ecrin, but haven't really noticed any difference in terms of wobbling issues.

http://www.ledcaplamps.com/index.htm

PeteHall said:
I've used an Ultralight, and found it very comfortable, but I've always liked the way the Petzl Ecrin can be so easily adjusted. This is particularly handy if you are putting on/ taking off a neoprene hood during your trip, as you can readjust in seconds.

I've been collecting them ever since Petzl announced that they would be discontinued. I had 4 until last week, when I picked up a bundle of caving gear off Facebook marketplace for ?10 that included two more. I gave one to a mate and will probably hang onto the other one, but I'd certainly recommend anyone after a caving helmet to keep their eyes open for a 2nd hand Ecrin.

As others have said, it does depend on the shape of your head, so see what you can borrow and try out before parting with a pile of cash.  (y)

Vertex uses the same mechanism I believe - a wheel either side of the cradle.