• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Giants - St Vanlentines sump

SamT

Last time I was there - the place was a right state with hose/broken buckets and litter everywhere.

Took a trip down there the other day - took a reasonable length of air hose and a small bilge pump in with the idea of getting a syphon going.
and clearing the place up a bit.

I managed to cart out most of the useless gubbins and litter.

the probem with the syphon idea was that there is a bailing bucket stuck about a meter into the drain hole preventing the hose from feeding down the drain very far. Whats needed is 2 drain rods with a hook gaffa taped on - with a little patients - Im sure you could get the blockage out.
Managed to get a very weak syphon working - but this could definately be improved upon.

There are also about 3 good buckets and a length of huge bore rubber pipe - this can be used to direct the water directly down the drain when bailing. (stops more crap getting washed into the drain

Ive heard reports that the drain starts to back up and will not take enough water to drop valentines. Anyone any experience.

I think it would be a fantastic little round trip if the filthy five were rigged properly for a pull though trip. (pre rig geology whilst the sump is draining).

Waddya reckon :D

cap n chris

I presume the sump is not named after a vehicle used to take groups of young lovers out for an evening?
:poke:

Pitlamp

Sam - in case it helps, the flooded section (at the end of a decreasing airspace canal) is 7 metres long. It's not a safe free dive though as the far end is restricted. Emptying it from the other side is also problematic as you go up a steep slope as soon as you emerge. Bailing is definitely the best way to deal with this sump. I'm not sure the levels are actually right for siphoning,. Although this may help at first, the easiest method is a line of people with buckets. There's a bit more info in CDG Newsletter No 67 page 12.

SamT

It would be interesting to find out about syphons - there was another side passage a little way back that looked bigger and more vertical - it would be a idea to survey the levels in there to see if it would be possible.

Assuming the drain is not blocked - how long would it take for 3 people to drop it