WARNING - Human P**s in Goatchurch

Burt

Guiding in Gatchurch again today, went to the drainpipe and was overwhelmed by the stench of human piss.  :yucky: :mad: DISGUSTING! It seems to be mainly in the small chamber immediatly before the pipe, ie the one with the mucky puddle in it. It stinks like a public toilet.

This is my (and others) place of work - how would you like it if I pissed on your desk?
If it was yours, then you should be ashamed of yourself you filthy pikey muppet. Dont ever let me catch you.

I'll go down sometime this week with some water and jeyes fluid / disinfectant - Any suggestions for cave- freindly disinfectant?

cap n chris

There's plenty of water available at the bottom of the ladder dig in the adjacent chamber - might be best just to dilute it as much as possible but of course that means it'll seep into the drainpipe! - perhaps just take some surface soil in with you and let it absorb the puddle of wee and break it down organically (requires a bag/sack) - I'd do the second option first on the grounds that "it might just work".

Cookie

Burt said:
I'll go down sometime this week with some water and jeyes fluid / disinfectant - Any suggestions for cave- freindly disinfectant?

Piss in a dry cave is disgusting but Jeyes fluid/disinfectant is not good for the cave. It is far more poisonous to whatever poor cave life scratches out its tenuous existence than the piss is. 

Water only please.

Marcus

Les W said:
still...
...could have been worse  :(

It was, last year in the entrance to the Diable in the Doubs! Well the winter floods should have sorted it out at least.

Marcus

AndyF

Think you'd be better throwing some lime in it than bleach. The lime neutralises the Uric Acid  (which is what smells)  (they used to put lime in the pi55 containers in Lechuguilla for this reason)

Agree tottally disgusting behaviour, so long as it is human and not a fox or something (they smell bad too)

Burt

Thanks chaps, water with a dash of lime 'twill be.
Very doubtful it was an animal due to the location and popularity of the cave over the weekend.

ditzy 24//7

just thought id mention wilst this thread is going on about goatchurch that at the bottom of water chamber were the muddy crawl is there is currently bad air down there.

cap n chris

Thanks, Ditzy!

I've also heard today that someone has urinated at the end of the Main Entrance Chamber, beyond the Giant's Steps - i.e. down past the stal slide between the column and the flowstone wall.

cap n chris

Agree. I'd far rather people wet themselves than pee in this cave - that way at least most of the foulness leaves with them.

ditzy 24//7

how near was it people were ment to have pi**es near the drainpipe because me and brains were down there the other day and did the drainpipe aswell and we didnt notice anything.

Burt

Ditzy - the pee in question is in the little chamber that links to the drainpipe - i.e. the last one you can stand in before the drainpipe crawl itself.

I popped down there tonight with 20 litres of Burrington's finest topsoil and a cupful of lime - sprinkled the lime over pissy puddle then dumped the soil on top. Hopefully it will zap the smell and eventually turn into cave mud.

I took a direct route so missed out the main chamber and giants steps, if I had known I would have covered the other pile too. Hey Ho.

Peter Burgess

I hear someone has been dumping topsoil in Goatchurch. What a liberty - introducing alien material into our luvvly pristine cave systems. :mad: ;)

cap n chris

Topsoil works an absolute treat at dispersing urine and faeces underground - it soon reverts to inert matter and in a disturbed stratigraphy site such as GC is a zero conservation impact perfect solution to an annoyingly frequent situation. IM(H)O there is nowt better solution.

Now, introducing a bag of alien material into UFS or some other pristine site is another matter.

Peter Burgess

I hate it when you are being serious.  :cautious:

BTW, I get very confused reading your immaculate northern accent when I really expect a Zummerzet drawl. Do you have a secret yearning to be a Northerner?