Bagshawe Resurgence - The Connection

Johnny

Its gone!
Simon Cornhill and I broke through the dig on Saturday. We put two shifts in each, me first using a sledge hammer and wrestling with boulders then Simon who made like a bulldozer and cleared a path to open passage where Simon B's line reel was sat, dead ahead, three metres away!
After warming up and swapping cylinders I then sorted the line on my second shift and dived through to the Windy Passage end of the lower series in Bagshawe Cavern. Simon also went through on his second dive and had a poke about in the main passage.
Further dives are planned later this week (weather permitting!).

Johnny

SamT said:
Good effort guys. 

(y) (y)  :bow:

made like a bulldozer
- is that a technical cave diving term  :LOL:

Yep, you should see it there is 2' wide trench carved through rock and mud!

We will probably be going for a resurgence to coe through trip on Wednesday evening if anyone would like to volunteer to help us out with the cylinders we would be very grateful

Goydenman

Yipppeeee! Well done guys  :D :D
I remember back to the days of Murland and Tucker etc but even more important eagerly await more news of what is upstream eh. Well done again.

martinb

Well done gentlemen!

I had a look at the resurgence with young gumby in July. I salute you and your endeavors!  :bow:

Well done indeed.  :clap:

Bill Griffiths, who worked on the resurgence with Andy Morrison in the mid 90s (but is too lazy to register on this site), also passes on his congratulations

Johnny

Cheers chaps

peterdevlin said:
John/Simon,

Well done ... after all your hard work is this now opened up as a tourist trip?

Ciao,
Peter

Cheers Pete,

We all have to be aware that Bagshawe Cavern is owned by the Revell family and that any trips into the cave should be arranged through them, details of access are on the Eldon Website.

The site is still being explored but I have no problem with people wanting to dive the known bit (but if you start poaching I will chop your k*****rs off!). One consideration is that the first 40m of the sump is very tight in places and constricted throughout so its probably worth getting to know it slowly unless you are happy diving very small stuff. Oh and it's 83m without fins!

peterdevlin

Johnny said:
One consideration is that the first 40m of the sump is very tight in places and constricted throughout so its probably worth getting to know it slowly unless you are happy diving very small stuff.

.. not sounding quite the fun tourist trip  ;-)