• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Wanted; Electric Motor

Johnny

Don't suppose that anyone out there happens to have a single phase, 240v, 4hp, 3000rpm, electric motor kicking around? Trying to avoid spending ?200 at Machine Mart.

shotlighter

Johnny said:
Don't suppose that anyone out there happens to have a single phase, 240v, 4hp, 3000rpm, electric motor kicking around? Trying to avoid spending ?200 at Machine Mart.
Don't, it'll probaly be a bag of poo - duty cycle at rated power, 10mins per fortnight, hold out for the 2nd hand but decent option!

SamT

bet there is quite a lot of that kind of thing on Ebay.

I'd be sure to seek the advice of the Peaks resident expert on all things electrical and mechanical ... Nick.
He's probably got one laying around under his kitchen sink or sommat.

If its what I think its for, then I reckon an electric motor is far preferable to a petrol one for a whole host of reasons.

Hughie

Johnny said:

Johnny - in my experience, it's difficult to find a single phase motor much over 3hp. I've been told the start-up load is too great, hence usually 3hp upwards will be 3 phase.

If it's worth anything to you, I've got an old electric motor that's split phase you're welcome to - it used to drive a vacuum pump but has since been upgraded, and I haven't yet raided it for the copper. I'll dig it out and see if it's specs are still visible on it.

nickwilliams

SamT said:
bet there is quite a lot of that kind of thing on Ebay.

As Hughie said, 4Hp single phase is an odd size - it can't be run off a 13A socket so would generally need it's own dedicated circuit. I've found that electric motors bigger than 1 or 2 HP are surprisingly scarce on e-bay.

SamT said:
I'd be sure to seek the advice of the Peaks resident expert on all things electrical and mechanical ... Nick.
He's probably got one laying around under his kitchen sink or sommat.

'Fraid not - I have a 3-phase power supply so I don't have many single phase motors in stock.

SamT said:
If its what I think its for, then I reckon an electric motor is far preferable to a petrol one for a whole host of reasons.

I've got a little 5Hp single cylinder diesel you can borrow if you want. What's it for?

Nick.

Johnny

Eyup Nick
A compressor; could do with housing it at Bagshawe but have been having difficulties getting an engine mounted to it, the diesel unit sounds ideal.
I Could bring it up yours and we could have a look at it?

Hughie
Thanks mate, hang fire for now but I may take you up on that if I can't get and engine sorted.

Hughie

No probs, Johnny.

Had a quick look at it - no spec plate on it, but I'm presuming it's about 2.5 hp. It's got a 28mm keyed output shaft with a 100mm twin v pulley wheel.

Rotation speed on this type of motor is around 1440 rpm.
Mounted on a low stand, with start/stop gear.
Was working when it was decommissioned 14years ago, bearings "seem" ok, but has a rattle when rotated by hand.

Good luck with Nicks diesel!  (y)

Les W

could always use a 3 phase motor and an inverter. Not necessarily the cheapest option unless you know some one who knows some one, but might make some sense if you could get the stuff.

Johnny

Les

Yes I have had a look at that option and will keep it in mind.
I think that I will have a go at grafting on the diesel unit (it will be easier than the petrol one I was going to use).

Cheers all; I will let you know how I get on.

Les W

I don't want to teach you to suck eggs, but if you use an infernal combustion engine then beware the exhaust fumes are not sucked into the inlet of the compressor. Carbon monoxide in your dive cylinders can have a bit of a negative effect on your dive. It has happened before.