Camping in Castleton

Rhys

My club is having a trip to the Peak District in February staying at the TSG. As most of our booked places are full, I drunkenly offered to camp. So, are there actually any campsites within walking distance of Castleton?

I'd happily sleep in the gutter, but my girlfriend is a little more discerning.

I hope someone can help.

Rhys

PS. I can't be arsed to ask Google so don't suggest that!

Stu

There is a caravan park down the road towards Sheffield direction. Don't know if the do camping though. Definitely camping at a site behind the pub in Hope, the name of which escapese me at the minute. Bit of a walk to Cas but there may be buses.

SamT

You can camp at the Pindale center I think (or use their bunk facitlites) which is probably your best bet.(10 min walk from TSG)

Then there Losehill Caravan club site (takes tents) but not sure it will be open in Feb.
Its on the outskirts of the village to the east.
Rowter farm is a bleak and windy place but handy for rowter hole and JH. On top of the hill behind the castle (probably an good half hour walk up cave dale or 45 mins if you go via Winnats) (add an extra 5 minutes for each extra pint over 4 pints)
Next best place is Laneside camping - the far side of Hope. probably 25-30 mins walk from TSG.

see http://w01-0504.web.dircon.net/pdc/accom.htm for phone numbers.

Rhys

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll look into it.

Cave_Troll said:
Rhys
surely several members of your club live in sheffield, as do their mates, their girlfriends etc :)
Troll. This is of course true, however... Sheffield is not really staggering distance from the many fine taverns in Castleton village centre.

Rhys

T

Titch98

Normally use Pindale Farm Outdoor Centre. About £3.00 summit per person per night. As mentioned by SamT, only about a 10 min walk to the village centre (up and down those bloomin' lanes....) and pubs. 2-3 mins by car. Wash block and showers available on site. Raised BBQs only allowed on site. Bunkhouses are an option, but not a cheap option (correct me if I am wrong, but about £8.00 summit per person per night, plus electricity tokens) and normally need to book in advance.

To get there, go up on back roads (follow signs for "Cement Factory" from within Hope village, passing actual factory) and follow narrow track down to obvious Bunkhouse complex on left. Camp ground at far end of complex. Need to book in at house and gain "booked" sticker for tents.

Grid Ref: SK 162825
Phone: (01433) 620111 - Alan (Owner)

Brendan

Rhys - surely with the aid of the beer scooter you would barely notice the 4 hour walk. And the bber jacket would keep you warm on the way. Indeed, the more you drink the faster the beer scooter goes, and you will even be able to use it the next day to get back to Castleton to go caving!

Rachel

Castleton youth hostel isn't bad - the breakfasts beat whatever you could fry up in TSG at any rate. And I think that as of this year, you don't have to be a YHA member.

Rhys

Thanks once again for all the useful suggestions. In the end, my lady companion put her foot down about camping in February so we've now booked a room at Castleton YHA - she's paying :)

Rhys