Venue for 60-70 people 5-7th November

Cavematt

My former student club (YUCPC) is currently looking for a venue for our 40th Anniversary bash this November (ideally weekend of 6th November).

The plan originally was a weekend-long event at Swarthghyll Farm Bunkbarn, accommodating 40 in the bunkbarn, with camping agreed for overflow people. Everything was arranged and booked (some people had even booked their on-site self catering apartments), but the venue has suddenly and without reason pulled out leaving the event in jeopardy.

Has anyone got any thoughts on possible alternative northern venues? We have members booked to come who are travelling from all over the UK, so it needs to be somewhere with on-site accommodation available (bunkbarn or camping), and where 60-70 people can have a good party. We were expecting to arrange a catering wagon so on-site catering isn't necessary (although if it is available that would make life easier).

Obviously, Dalesbridge would have been ideal but that is not available apparantly.

I suspect that number of people is too large for any caving club hut to accommodate (not sure which huts have overflow camping).

Any suggestions greatly welcomed!

Benfool

Try Low Mill, in Askrigg, or Gearstones near Ribblehead.

The BPC did their Christmas dinner at Low Mill in 2019 (and are planning it again this year), with 90 people and it worked well. They've been pretty badly effected by Covid, so good to chuck them some money. Plus there is a brewery across the road, that does some pretty good beer!

B

sinker

Cavematt said:
Has anyone got any thoughts on possible alternative northern venues....where 60-70 people can have a good party....

Any suggestions greatly welcomed!

How about the Covid ward in the ICU department of your local hospital; that's where most of you will end up.....

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
:eek:  I think lots of events of this nature are being planned.  Many like the CDG do have already been. 

I'm not sure it is as bad as you make out.  Mind you events of this nature involving students/youngsters may end up spreading other unpleasant diseases  :LOL: ;)

Cavematt

Sinker, I wasn't asking for your self-righteous Covid guidance.

I am extremely respectful to anyone who is continuing to minimise contact for any personal reason. In return I expect similar respect for anyone who has made a decision to return more to greater normality after 18 very challenging months. That includes this thread not being hijacked with unhelpful Covid remarks.

Thank you.

sinker

Cavematt said:
Sinker, I wasn't asking for your self-righteous Covid guidance.

I am extremely respectful to anyone who is continuing to minimise contact for any personal reason. In return I expect similar respect for anyone who has made a decision to return more to greater normality after 18 very challenging months. That includes this thread not being hijacked with unhelpful Covid remarks.

Thank you.

Seems I'm falling out with everyone on here.
It wasn't self-righteous, unlike your attitude, although I accept it was a little sarcastic; intentionally I'm afraid.
A weekend-long party with 60-70 people crammed into a caving hut and a bunkhouse is asking for trouble in my opinion.

nmenzies

3 peaks bunkroom in horton would probably be big enough plus also close to the Craven if you need overflow.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

paul

[gmod]Let's try and keep on topic please. Opinions have been expressed re Covid so there's no need to continue re-visiting the issue here.[/gmod]

PeteHall

We had the DUSA annual dinner at Hornby Laithe bunk barn in Stainforth the week before the first lockdown. It sleeps 50 and could probably accommodate camping. It's also got a massive games hall and dozens of sofas where people could camp inside (though that may be against the rules?).

Only issue is that the dinning area is too small for so many really, but if you eat in shifts or put up tables in the games room, it could work.

Hornby Laithe Bunkbarn is next to the Yorkshire Dales Guides barn. Camping was allowed in the field by the river when we were there at Steph & Mike's do.